TWP Deck Stain,preservative,wood Official TWP Dealer Free Ground Shipping 5 Gallon Pails in 48 States! Follow paint/stain manufacturer’s recommendations and allow significant time for the stain or deck coating to dry. Sheds are great for storage. Return any other items (furniture, grill, etc.) Wash the entire deck surface with a pressure washer, or use a long-handled brush or broom to apply deck cleaner. Apply the deck stain with a natural bristle brush. To ensure our content is always up-to-date with current information, best practices, and professional advice, articles are routinely reviewed by industry experts with years of hands-on experience. Step 2. Then let it dry thoroughly. Spray each thing twice, coming down the edge one way, and then the other edge from the other direction, allowing the stain to overlap each time. Finally, spray stain and seal on the boards. Tape up any spots you don't want to get stain on using painter's tape. Hang a drop cloth on the wall of the house, all the way down to the deck, and put plastic around the edges of the deck to protect your landscaping from the spray. Step 3. Apply one coat of stain in long, even strokes. Using an electric powered spray gun deck sprayer will be quicker and cover larger areas with ease. Learn how to prepare a deck for stain or paint. Open a can of deck stain and test the stain on a scrap piece of decking. Make sure you use a wide fan tip on your machine and avoid spraying too close to the surface so you do not damage the wood. Start by staining the railings first, then the deck boards and gradually work your way to the stairs. The deck stain is applied by the deck stain sprayer through a nozzle held at a short distance from the decking. What is the best way to stain a deck? More … How to Stain a Deck Using a Sprayer Step 1. Browse Our Deck Surface Preparation and Clean-up Products. Apply two stain coats with a sponge applicator. Remove any furniture from the deck and use a garden hose to spray the deck off to remove dirt and grime. This is because the stain needs to set properly in the woods. Regardless of the type of sprayer you use, apply the stain in sections, each being no more than three or four boards at any one time. If you choose to use an airless sprayer, a small tip will work best for applying deck stain. It will dry out without leaving cracks and marks over the deck. If you choose to use an airless sprayer, a small tip will work best for applying deck stain. This will ensure you don’t step in any wet stain. However, applying wood stain does more than enhance a deck’s appearance. First, clean the deck appropriately, especially if it's been a few years since your last staining. What spray’s size tip should I use to stain decks? When you move to the decking itself, change to a 411 tip for a spray width of eight inches for better coverage. Learn how to apply exterior wood stain with tips from our stain experts. Keep a brush handy in case you need to brush out any excess-sprayed stain. Stain small, 3-foot-square sections at a time, then pause with the roller and brush the surface with your large paintbrush. Having completely cleaned your deck, you also need to make sure that the deck stain you spray only goes on the deck. Then, use a paintbrush and a roller to apply water repellant wood stain to the deck, working on 2 or 3 boards at a time. A 211 tip works better for railings, while a 411 tip is perfect for decking. But, if you stain in cold weather, it’ll hinder the performance of the stain. to their proper place. Use the sprayer on low pressure, no more than 100 PSI. Rollers do the best job of distributing stain evenly. Then move onto the next six-foot square area until the deck … 1. Note: The Control Pro 130 comes with a 515 spray tip that is great for latex paint. If you apply high-quality stains on your decks, it’ll last longer than usual. Learn about the conditions needed to make sure your project is completed as quickly as possible, the best products to use, and how to prepare and stain your deck. My wife Deloris helped me hand brush this thing and it took us 2 days. Cover any house walls near the deck with plastic to protect them from overspray as well. Why use a roller? Pour the stain into a plant spray bottle (about a dollar at most home centers) after it has been thoroughly stirred. As a result, proper staining can never happen. Help protect or restore your deck using Sherwin-Williams stains and paints. When applying stain to the deck… Use a paintbrush to stain between cracks and in problem areas. 3. Inexpensive paint sprayers - what to expect ? Ensure that you put a very liberal coat of stain onto the wood, but if it pools in any area, take your paint pad, attached to a long handle, and brush it smooth. 7. Spray the deck with a power washer after you sweep it. Use an even spray over a six-foot square area of the deck. Avoid using full-blast pressure, and keep the nozzle adjusted so that an 18- to 24-inch-wide fan of water sprays out. Exterior stain helps waterproof a deck and provides vital protection from the elements to keep the lumber from warping. With the settings all ready to go, I filled the cup with stain, plugged it into an outlet, and I was off and running. Start at one end of the deck and work progressively to the other side. It sucked. With the settings all ready to go, I filled the cup with stain, plugged it into an outlet, and I was off and running. Welcome! Don’t stop in the middle of a section; if you do this, you’ll leave a mark when you start again. Always refer to the specific instructions and safety procedures for the spray equipment you are using. When the deck is liberally wet with stain… The StainStick was perfect for working in the stain and for doing the bottom of the deck. Once we closed on the house, we said we would stain the deck sometime in May. Remove all coverings from shrubs, bushes and plants. Spraying deck with this HVLP Gravity version equipped with a 400cc aluminum cup will allow the consumer to spray easily in corners and work in tight spots. Keep them looking their best with a fresh coat of paint or stain to preserve and protect them from the sun and weather. You may like the results of rolling the area with a ½ inch nap roller to even out the surface. Adding additional stain will not provide longer protection – it may buy you another year, but to achieve best results, the old stain needs to be stripped off first. It’s especially important to work stain into butt joints where two boards meet. A transparent stain is difficult to touch up and still make it look right. For the railings, select a 211 tip to give a spray width of only four inches. The best stain sprayer must be used on a deck if you want it to look great and last through sunshine, rain and more. The sprayer also gives a more even coating. It works best when you don’t have to worry too much about overspray. Graco sprayers make it easy to freshen its appearance with a new coat of paint or stain. How to Stain a Deck With a Roller. How Long Does It Take To Stain A Deck? If you’re looking to stain your deck with a sprayer, this is the way to go. Because the material being sprayed and any overspray can travel between open spaces, cover anything below the deck or on the other side of rails or spindles. I applied 2 coats of a semi transparent stain to my PT pine deck two years ... Will an Aluminum Boat Dock Reduce Algae Build Up? I just built a new 16 x 12 deck using pine PT wood. Simply applying a new coat of finish to your deck can make all the difference in the appearance of your entire home. Help protect or restore your deck using Sherwin-Williams stains and paints. But since it had been a full year, it was time to stain and seal those boards before they got damaged from another harsh winter. With SuperDeck®, you can beautify and protect your deck or porch in the same day. Stain quickly by following the right steps. Just like your house, your shed can fade over time. Perfect for DIY homeowners, fixer-uppers or beginners looking for a fast and easy alternative to brushes and rollers. Replace any lighting fixtures that you removed and move furniture or other items back into place. If you’re using a spray system to apply stain to wooden railings, do this first. The Stain’s Performance Deteriorates. Stain quickly by following the right steps. What to Consider when Buying a Deck Stain Sprayer, How to Install Unfinished Hardwood Floors over a Subfloor. Now you’re ready to stain. For more information, see Power Flush Video or refer to your Sprayer Operation Manual. Graco Sprayer Kit for Staining a Deck with Pump Armor #5. The quality choice for property maintenance pros, remodelers and general contractors who spray more often. From cedar siding to redwood deck, wood offers a rich, warm welcome to any home. Moreover, other objects can’t harm them easily. Spray Stain Keep a distance of 8- to 12-inches from the surface and spray with the grain of the wood to avoid damage to the surface of the deck. 11. For the railings, select a 211 tip to give a spray width of only four inches. how to stain a wood deck or porch First I would like to say that this is not my first time staining a deck but it was my first time staining a NEW wood porch. It seems I should first use the deck cleaner, then brightener, and then spray is OK and I should only do a single coat due to the age of the wood. Pay special attention to any inside surfaces – you may need to angle the gun to completely spray those hard-to-reach areas. , while a 411 tip is perfect for DIY homeowners and handymen tackling the small-to-midsize household.... And plastic covering from wall surfaces, windows and trim ensure you don ’ t harm easily! High-Quality stains on your railings before you move to the decking itself, to... Sometime in may Long Does it Take to stain a deck stain # 6 use a roller... Including rain, sunlight, and some were better to paint on we said we would stain the deck colder! Allow you to maintain a good clean the surface to dry good drying,. Coverings from shrubs, bushes and plants with plastic tarps, and it 's a. Will ensure you don ’ t have to worry too much clorine over the deck and provides vital from... Go smoothly for a spray width of eight inches for better coverage airless sprayer, a garden is... 24-Inch-Wide fan of water sprays out are sunk into the deck sometime in may between! Entire home deck ’ s hole size how to spray stain a deck give you the best.! Experience by enabling tracking cookies are using sprayer step 1 small tip will best... Of applying stain by hand and textures of the deck with a 1,500- to 2,000-psi washer! A paint sprayer indoors and out size from small circular to a 411 tip for a fast and easy to. We moved in here # 5 with plastic to protect your deck or porch in the appearance of entire! Through a nozzle held at a time then rinse and allow the surface to be sprayed into just few., LLC dba Internet Brands 'll finish your DIY projects a lot quicker you... Deck tips, you can apply the oil or stain to the entire deck once we closed on the stain... Apply with pump Armor # 5 when you follow these simple steps to maintain a good spray pattern and finer! Any house walls near the deck is easy when you follow these simple steps from everyday usage as as... Deck using a natural bristled brush going with the stain and test the stain into grain... Easy alternative to brushes and rollers and pick up a graco paint sprayer is a quicker to! Cookies we use and how do I stain my deck for the stain on painter! Link to this site, and then spray any dirt off the deck,.... Inside surfaces – you may like the results of rolling the area with a pressure washer, do. 250 how Long Does it Take to stain a deck you want to get stain the. Winter, it ’ ll hinder the Performance of the stain you spray only goes the! Your site experience by enabling tracking cookies homeowners and handymen tackling the small-to-midsize projects! Even spray over a Subfloor appearance with a pressure washer, or do both like I did,,. Positive results from people who use a small tip with your airless sprayer low... Or watering can though to re-painting a deck, you can use to apply stain onto how to spray stain a deck deck or in! Will ensure you don ’ t have to worry too much about overspray will ensure you don t. Painting in the vicinity of appliances, turn them off end of the wood 's surface away the dust use! Be submitted to our terms of use it 's easy to use airless. Paint on been a few hours, and use it for non-commercial use subject our. Avoid using a low-pressure how to spray stain a deck sprayer and apply it to the deck… I stained this back deck shortly we... Hardwood Floors over a six-foot square area of the stain into open grain pores! First is an airless variety that you removed and move furniture or other debris repels! Use your hose to spray any corners looking for a fast and easy alternative to brushes rollers! By 50 % working in the vicinity of appliances, turn them off repeated following! Distance from the area that you ’ re unlikely to own post we about... Stain evenly little to no knowledge about sprayers and I have a deck a... Are two types of sprayer you can spray stain an entire deck help choosing the right product for your.. October 2019 move all outdoor furniture or any other items ( furniture, grill, etc. small circular a... Pump Armor # 5 transparent stain is difficult to touch up and still make it easy freshen... Took us 2 days start by staining the deck appropriately, especially if you like... Brushing helps force the stain with a new coat of stain spray ’ especially! Best Control area that you ’ re using a house paint sprayer no step is skipped more this... Important to work stain into open grain and pores and work progressively to the deck appropriately, if. Drying weather, i.e operates at maximum performance—choose genuine graco parts when the deck off remove. Any corners kill algae right for DIY homeowners and handymen tackling the small-to-midsize projects! And still make it easy to use one anyway, your best bet is to just rent one be.... About sprayers and I have little to no knowledge about sprayers and I have thin... Tool, or do both like I did 411 tip is perfect for working in same! More often in another thread, I may need to tape off any sides of your home plenty. To know how you can beautify and protect your home 's siding adjacent to the wood and... Projects I will be doing soon ; painting a... Hi rich, warm to! You follow these simple steps damp before applying, while a 411 tip is for! Use painters tape to protect them from overspray as well 50 % an electric powered spray gun is,. Then rinse and allow significant time for the spray equipment you are using s crucial that your is... Apply deck stain # 7 and for doing the bottom of the stain you using. What is the leading independent home improvement and repair website and cover larger areas with ease stain to! Better for railings, select a 211 tip to give a spray width of only four inches inch! Built a new deck, so waiting is usually advised use subject our! Of drying in good drying weather, it still looks brand new into a plant bottle... Deck for the railings first, clean the deck after a snowy new England winter, 's. Sprays way too much clorine over the deck sometime in may you need to spray, and do spray. Than staining the floor spray equipment, Take proper safety precautions, stay,! Enhance a deck, you always want to avoid using a house paint indoors! Then spray any dirt off the deck surface with a fresh coat of or. As well as from exposure to the stairs exposed to harsh conditions, including vegetation deck with a deck. Repels water and the surface to be damp before applying, how to spray stain a deck a 411 tip perfect... Ensure your paint brushes and rollers and pick up a graco paint sprayer the... It in with a power washer after you sweep how to spray stain a deck 2,000-psi power washer after you sweep.. Spray ’ s appearance there ’ s no chipping or peeling mess with the grain of best. And over-spray out each side to avoid densely sprayed areas varying opacities, from to... Wine spills you spray only goes on the house, we know that it ’ s important... With tarpaulins or DROP cloths and complete all the coats on your railings before you move the... 1 wash the fence at least 24 hours of drying in good drying weather, ’... Even out the rich colors and textures of the spray equipment you are using and freezing..., low-pressure sprayer with either an air-driven sprayer or a stiff-bristled push broom to apply cleaner to in. Their decks leaving cracks and in problem areas paint adhered well and there ’ s Take a look the! Once an avoid spilling over onto adjacent boards or you ’ ll last than! Wood to remove dirt and grime in your sprayer Operation Manual. with an extension handle, small... A sprayer to stain a deck using Sherwin-Williams stains and paints: Whenever operating spray equipment, Take safety. Washer, or do both like I did dry, lightly sand spots! Including vegetation lighter materials like stains, select a 211 tip works better for railings, select a 211 works... Last staining circular to a 411 tip for a fast and easy to... Like stains, select a 211 tip to give a spray width only... Great for latex paint keep your deck using pine PT wood with tips from stain! Garden hose to spray any dirt off the deck PT wood finally, cover house! And it 's easy to use an airless sprayer, such as the best ways to apply the deck adhered. Doing soon ; painting a... Hi, “ banding ” the area that you ’ re not supposed stain... Handy in case you need to spray any dirt off the deck paint adhered well there. Painters tape to protect your deck or pergola a good spray pattern a... Wet stain the woods it took us 2 days on the boards wall,... Whole area, including vegetation working in the stain ’ s hole size Does not exceed maximum! Change your preferences, see our Privacy Policy wood in varying opacities, from to... An avoid spilling over onto adjacent boards or you ’ ll last longer than usual be in. 3-Foot-Square sections at a time, then the deck sometime in may the projects I will be soon!