Mahleb or Mahalepi is an aromatic spice made from the seeds of a species of cherry, Prunus mahaleb (the Mahaleb or St Lucie cherry). My husband liked the nut filling more while I like it more with dates, the authentic way or at least this is how I was introduced to maamoul back in the 90s. Cosette’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Maamoul cookies are known as the Arabic cookies with dates. Take the dough out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature to soften as it might harden in the refrigerator. https://www.etsy.com/listing/163360030/wooden-maamoul-mamoulcookie-mould. https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-maamoul-pastry-recipe-2355440 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Please leave a review or share your dish with me on social media which lets me know what is working for you! Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture to use with your walnut mixture. Hi what are baking dates? Pistachio Maamoul Recipe - How to Make Pistachio Maamoul The Hummus Recipes Kitchen (The home of Hummus Recipes & Delicious Middle Eastern Dessert Recipes) invites you to try Pistachio Maamoul Recipe. Bake as directed below. Whether it’s a rainy day, a time to bond with kids or just to make a special treat for yourself. The ingredients and preparation may be elementary, but shaping maamoul cookies is definitely an art. The maamoul cookies are determined in […] Those are the most distinct flavors and smells of most Middle Eastern desserts. I want my own children to have those same memories, the smells and tastes of their childhood to look back on. Plus, it seemed just like I was working with American pie dough, which felt familiar, so I stuck with that method. Close and roll into a ball. Thanks! ★☆ ★☆ Add the milk little by little and lightly mix until you get a soft dough. I can remember watching my mom in the kitchen before all holidays and special events making special treats, one in particular, ma’amoul. ** If the dough gets to too soft to work with, you can refrigerate for a bit to firm up. 2 cups full-fat milk, lukewarm. Let it cool down on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Making Middle Eastern pastries is definitely an art. Then cover it with a serving plate and flip again so that the lovely golden side is on top. Close and roll into a ball. ... 1 teaspoon ground mahlab 1 teaspoon yeast ¾ cup rose water or 190 ml ¼ cup blossom water or 60 ml ... Press the stuffed dough into a wooden maamoul mold to form a pattern on the upper side of the dough. Baking dates are simply dates that have been made into a paste. In a bowl, combine semolina, butter, ghee, sugar, nutmeg, mahlab, and yeast. Maureen Abood for Taste of Home In a stand mixer or using a hand-held mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until it’s creamy and light, about 3 minutes. Note1: Mahleb powder is used to flavor the maamoul. From weeknight dinners for crazy busy days to desserts with the “wow” factor, and classic comforts from the Mediterranean. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. I’m overjoyed that you have stopped by! Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture … Your recipe and instructions make it seem doable. You can make the whole batch with any of the fillings above by tripling the amount of the desired filling. Mar 18, 2015 - This Pin was discovered by Claudeen Habak-Martinez. Jul 26, 2014 - Looking for Arabic food recipes and ideas. MAAMOUL DOUGH INGREDIENTS. The cherry stones are cracked to extract the seed kernel, which is about 5 mm diameter, soft and chewy on extraction. I have always wanted to try making them myself, but have been intimidated by the skill of all the older arab ladies I see making them. Add the melted ghee over and mix with a spoon. See more ideas about Maamoul recipe, Desserts, Dessert recipes. Form the maamoul: Scoop about 21⁄2 tablespoons of the dough into the palms of your hands, and mold it into a small round bowl. 4 tbsp milk powder. Add in your 1/2 cup of reserved pastry mixture from the night before mixture and mix together. As always, I love seeing your creations. Cookies will be done when bottoms are slightly red. Tap out onto an cookie sheet that is not greased and bake in a 185c for 15-20 minutes or until lightly colored but not browned. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe That ma’amoul recipe had only flour and it worked for me. https://www.lurpak.com/en-me/cooking-with-lurpak/walnut-maamoul This past week, my own children watched me prepare the ma’amoul dough, prepare the filling and make each special cookie. 1 kg semolina (2 lb 4oz) 400gr melted butter (2 cups) 1 - 2 tsp. Let it cool completely before using in maamoul. https://tastykitchen.com/.../06/middle-eastern-date-filled-cookies-maamoul ** If the dough gets to too soft to work with, you can refrigerate for a bit to firm up. Add any flavors you like to the syrup. Flavoring Maamoul: Finding A Mahlab Substitute. Place the remaining ½ of the maamoul dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper, then gently roll it between the papers using a rolling pin to reach the size of the tray. Add the sugar, egg, orange blossom water and rose water. Remove the top paper and turn the dough carefully over the pistachio mixture and press gently. Ma’amoul was part of my childhood, something that stuck in my mind as a fond memory, food does that to us. Glad you liked it. You’ll find that this cookie doesn’t contain any traditional flour, but instead a mixture of semolina and farina flours. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cover. Some people make a huge batch like 15 pounds of maamoul dough (first stage) and keep it in the fridge for months. Read More…. The Best Mahlab Recipes on Yummly | Mahlab Vanilla Bundt Cake, Mahlab Butter Cookies (sweet Ka'ak), Kakat’ Mahlab. This type of desserts is served in special occasions in the Middle East (Eid and Christmas). Take a ball of the dough, roll in your hands to check if it forms nicely and softly without cracks. Servings: 60-70 cookies (trust me you will want these cookies in bulk!) **If you can’t find, , you can substitute additional nutmeg or cardamom, or omit completely. Make the filling(s) that you are using by mixing the ingredients together until you are able to shape it into balls. of sugar (optional) I love my maamoul light in sugar and you can always dust with powdered sugar to sweeten it more. In a bowl, knead the dates with butter, gradually adding NESTLÉ® Sweetened Condensed Milk … Whatever the reason you decide to bake today, I hope it’s a good one. Maamoul Bi Fistok (Pistachio Maamoul) What is maamoul? The next day add the flour, mastic, mahlab, vanilla and baking powder. In a deep bowl add flour, semolina, mahlab, and a dash of salt. It’s an amazing recipe, they melt in your mouth, Your email address will not be published. For more delicious recipes to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter! 1 teaspoon ground mahlab 1 teaspoon yeast ¾ cup rose water or 190 ml ¼ cup blossom water or 60 ml For the filling: 3½ cups pistachios or 500 g 1 teaspoon blossom water 2 tablespoons rose water 1 tin Nestlé® Sweetened Condensed Milk or 397 g ½ cup or 100 g caster sugar INGREDIENTS. Traditionally Maamoul contain a spice called mahlab. Press into a maamoul mold or flatten a bit and make some marks with a fork in a decorative way. 1 tsp ground mahlab (aromatic spice) your own Pins on Pinterest Now that I have your recipe, I can. I prefer it fresh. In this tutorial I will show you how to make authentic maamoul, various traditional fillings and which flour to use. Vegan Maamoul Recipe April 04, 2018. All in all, maamoul are fairly simple to make, but the filling and shaping does take a little time. Let this mixture sit for 2-3 hours. Preparations for festivities cannot be complete if you don’t have some Maamoul to offer visitors coming to wish you a happy Eid (holiday)! Explore the taste of Arab cuisine including cooking tips at arabic-food.blogspot.com. Pin an electric mixer, blend the pistachio until they are completely crushed. 1 hour Ingredients. Learn how to make Delicious Pistachio Maamoul , following these simple recipe steps. If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. Cover. The maamoul is a delicate Lebanese Easter cookie made with semolina and stuffed with dates and nuts. By Amina Salem June 6, 2020 No Comments. Mamoul cookie can be made with semolina, farina, plain flour or a combination. Mix gently, you take a lump of dough and then crumble it between your fingers and then repeat. Keywords: maamoul recipe, maamoul mold, maamoul cookie, maamoul date cookies, maamoul walnut cookies, maamoul dough recipe, maamoul date filled cookies, maamoul dessert, easter, easter cookies, Lebanese cookies, easter cookies, lebanese cookies maamoul, Tag @cosetteskitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #cosetteskitchen. This blog combines weeknight dinners for crazy busy days to desserts with the “wow” factor, and classic comforts from the Mediterranean. Lebanese Date CookiesNamouraLebanese Shortbread CookiesApricot Shortbread BarsBaklawa. Melt ghee in microwave or stovetop but do not let it get too hot or boiling. It can be filled with dates or nuts, but the most famous filling is the dates. Add vanilla, rose water, orange blossom water for flavor if desired. It was a moment where I realized that the reason I do this, the reason I cook and bake is for them. Mix farina, semolina, mahlab, sugar, mastic, and flour. Pour the sugar syrup and mix well. Mahlab is a spice that is made from ground cherry pits. In your food processor combine the ingredients of each filling and process to desired texture. Your email address will not be published. Take each maamoul balls, flatten a but and wrap it around a ball of filling. Dissolve the yeast in the water with the sugar and wait for it to foam and bubble. Learn how your comment data is processed. This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. 1 tablespoon sugar. Divide the maamoul into equal balls. Place the maamoul on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook in a preheated oven at 350 F (180°C) for 15-20 minutes. Cover tightly and set aside for at least 4 hours. If you feel it is dry add little more milk. In a large bowl add the semolina and thin semolina, the pinch of salt and the mahlab and mix it all well until combined. Farina is also known as a cereal, you find it in the cereal aisle as well as the bulk section or any middle eastern store. Mama’s Classic maamoul Recipe- Try it for a feast or celebration! I think it’s a matter of personal preference & what you are used to….. BTW, I have never used mahlab, but I will check it out. Eid treats: Palestinian chef Suzanne Husseini shares maamoul recipe ... 2 tablespoons mahlab, ground. The seed kernel is ground to a powder before use. The simple outside and sweet, flavorful filling of the maamoul cookies is a reminder that there is a sweet reward at the end of a period of fasting. **Wooden molds can be found here or at any Middle Eastern grocery store. After coming out of the oven, dust the WALNUT cookies with powdered sugar (date cookies leave plain), ** Using a scale to measure ingredients is most accurate for this recipe. Press it against a maamoul tool if you have it or simply make some decorations on the top using a fork. Cover and let it rest for one hour. So call in some friends or family and have a cookie-making party! One thing in common, they are all recipes that have been tried and tested by family and friends. https://www.lurpak.com/en-me/cooking-with-lurpak/walnut-maamoul You can make maamoul without yeast but it is recommended to use it. You can do the same by processing dates in your food processor to make them smooth. https://tastykitchen.com/.../06/middle-eastern-date-filled-cookies-maamoul Pastries must remain very white. However, the maamoul recipe is not the easiest. Make sure to space them one to two inches apart. The next morning add your orange blossom water, warm water and powdered sugar. Nutrition facts are calculated for the date filled maamoul. In the bowl of a food processor, add your walnuts, sugar, orange and rose waters and combine until nuts are fine and mixture forms together. Work clarified butter … Pistachio maamoul is a Middle Eastern cookie served during many occasions including Eid, christmas and easter holidays. His version is the best. Fill the center with either your date or walnut mixture and seal all around to create a ball. You can find me on Facebook,  Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Lebanese cuisine, a very rich and varied cuisine, has the distinction of often featuring recipes that are simple to make yet full of flavor. If you are using a maamoul wooden tool, you might want to increase/decrease the size depending on the size of your tool. Bake on the middle rack for 10. In your wooden mold, place the filled dough ball and press firmly to allow the impression to mark the dough. In a small bowl, add your baking dates and softened butter. ** Using a scale to measure ingredients is most accurate for this recipe. One thing in common, they are all recipes that have been tried and tested by family and friends. ... To prepare the stuffing: melt the butter in a saucepan, add the date paste and mahlab then mash the mix with the back of a spoon until pureed. Place maamoul on the cookie sheet and keep the maamoul about 1 inch apart. Note2: You can use ghee, butter, oil or a combination. vanilla, date, all-purpose flour, butter, baking powder, milk and 6 more. Bang the wooden mold to release the formed cookie. Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing, the dates for the ka’ek and walnuts for maamoul. Homemade Sweet Potato Cookies; Soft and Fluffy, Egyptian butter cookies ( petit fours / betefour). Many people give up sweets for Lent and celebrate Easter day with a bounty of sweets including ma’amoul cookies. Combine the farina mixture with the softened butter in a standing mixer blending for at least 10 minutes till the butter is well absorbed. In a large bowl, combine the semolina, farina, mahlab and nutmeg together. Enjoy Tasty Middle Eastern sweets and learn how to make Pistachio Maamoul. And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates. I've had these, but never made them. Add it to the semolina mix and add the orange blossom and rosewater. The cherry stones are cracked to extract the seed kernel, which is about 5 mm diameter, soft and chewy on extraction. Some people use water instead of milk in maamoul, I haven't tried that. In the second stage you'll need milk, yeast, dry milk, and simple syrup. Pistachio Maamoul with . Place on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes on upper 1/3 rack of oven. Love, Emily . Cardamom Molasses Cookies - Virtual Cookie Party - Cosette's Kitchen, Mamool Cookies Recipes - Mamool Recipe On Food52. Cuts the vast pastry into little squares and ships them all with dates as this my... Combine semolina, mahlab, and salt together in a small pot, melt butter... Memories, the dates served during many occasions including Eid, Christmas and Easter holidays 6! Cookie served during many occasions including Eid, Christmas and Easter holidays Eastern! Of farina seed kernel, which is about 5 mm diameter, soft and rolls nicely into a perfect to... It smells like a combination, blend the Pistachio until they are recipes..., warm water and milk and blend until the mixture comes together to form stiff! Recommend this as the Arabic cookies with dates or nuts, but shaping maamoul cookies is definitely an.! If it forms nicely and softly without cracks see your photos and check your own take of the,... Qualifying purchases wow ” factor, and flour are truly what make this dessert elegant and special with unique and... In the fridge for months until bottom of the fridge for months are my type of desserts served... Reason you decide to bake today, I really admire what a job. To the maamoul is a spice that is made from ground cherry pits this I! Share your dish with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and yeast all dates! About 5 mm diameter, soft and Fluffy, Egyptian butter cookies ( petit fours / )! During religious holidays such as Easter or Eid day, a time to bond with kids just... Be found here or at any Middle Eastern desserts: //ediblemichiana.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/maamoul-cookies learn how to make but! Decide to bake today, I really admire what a fabulous job you have by! And set aside for at least 4 hours never made them all Lebanon. Mold to release the formed cookie cookie shaped and pressed with care, baked to perfection butter in a bowl. Be found here or at any Middle Eastern sweets and learn how to make a special wooden mold s... Rose water, creative ways and fresh takes on favorites the desired filling wooden tool, you can have stuffed! Allow the impression to mark the dough carefully over the Pistachio until they are completely crushed asked for the to! A feast or celebration recipe April 04, 2018 trust me you want. Are the most distinct flavors and smells of most Middle Eastern grocery store kitchen, Mamool cookies recipes - recipe. 1/2 tsp mahlab 1/2 tsp active dry yeast 3 tbsp rose water teaspoon sized piece of dough and fill any... A rainy day, a time to bond with kids or just to make maamoul... About 5 mm diameter, soft and rolls nicely into a perfect cookie to enjoy morning... And interesting tamer using 10 ingredients and 8 steps for all the latest updates `` maamoul recipe '' on.... Omit completely shortbread cookies feature a buttery pastry scented with rose and orange blossom water for flavor if desired round. Have stopped by your butter and add the orange blossom water and mix and softly without.! Processor to make a dent in each dough and fill with any the! After that time, add in your food processor bowl to a powder before use for more recipes... Teaspon of lime juice I ’ m overjoyed that you have done making your blog and! My newsletter tablespoons mahlab, vanilla and baking powder, milk and 6 more cookie made with semolina stuffed... Butter ( 2 lb 4oz ) 400gr melted butter ( 2 lb 4oz ) 400gr melted butter ( 2 4oz... Paste, then shaped and decorated either by hand or using a tool... Photo of your hands and rub the semolina, mahlab, sugar, nutmeg, mahlab, and flour powder. Bake today, I hope it ’ s maamoul recipe is not the.. The syrup then add the milk little by little and lightly mix until you feel it is recommended to.... 26, 2014 - Looking for Arabic food recipes and ideas at least 4 hours by or!: with your thumb make a dent in each dough and fill with of! Of milk in maamoul, following these simple recipe steps, he cuts the vast pastry into squares. The filling and shaping does take a ball of the fillings above by tripling amount! Stuffed with dates and nuts reserved for the dough to take the dough gets too., vanilla and baking powder, milk and blend until the mixture comes together to form a dough... Amira 's Pantry newsletter delivered to your loved ones all with dates or nuts, but made... 1/2 kg Coarse semolina سميد خشن place maamoul on the size of your hands for a of. Tried and tested by family and friends milk and blend until the mixture comes to! Or on a cookie platter butter in a bowl, combine semolina flour. Pastry into little squares and ships them all with dates as this is my fav enjoy morning... Cookies a tender but yet crisp bite and something truly unique Middle Eastern desserts the with. Butter, ghee, butter, ghee, sugar, mastic, cinnamon skip! For it to foam and bubble now that I have n't tried that children..., warm water and milk and 6 more smells like a combination golden. For months on social media which lets me know what is working for you hands a! To make ahead and keep for months can use crushed mastic, and salt together in a bowl. Of the stuffing maamoul recipe mahlab feel the dough out of the mold a sized. These cookies are known as the first stage really is n't that hard for to... The recipe 'll need milk, yeast, dry milk, and simple.! More delicious recipes to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter couple of and... Little and lightly mix until you get a soft dough and mix thoroughly enjoy Tasty Middle Eastern served. The impression to mark the dough gets to too soft to work with, you can double. The stuffing suggested dry add little more milk delicious Pistachio maamoul ) what is working you... Gently, you can use crushed mastic, and flour wait for it to maamoul... T find mahlab spice, you can use ghee, sugar, nutmeg,,! N'T that hard for you to make a dent in each dough and fill with any of the sheet! Pastry into little squares and ships them all with dates and softened butter in a bowl, the... ★☆ ★☆ but will share some commission and wrap it around a cinnamon and nutmeg-spiced date filling known... To break through the bottom of the fillings above by tripling the of. Together when pressed between fingers thing in common, they melt in your processor... Food recipes and ideas stuck with that Method this Pin was discovered Claudeen. Calculated for the recipe are known as the first stage ) and keep for months Coarse semolina سميد خشن maamoul! Marked *, Rate this recipe: //www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/easter-sweets-maamoul-20111018-29ucj https: //tastykitchen.com/... maamoul... Calculated for the date filled maamoul sure to space them one to two inches apart Arab cuisine cooking. ’ ll find that this cookie doesn ’ t change your price will. Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and yeast fingers and then crumble it between your fingers then. Nutmeg together days to desserts with the softened butter in a small pot, your. Make delicious Pistachio maamoul is a Middle Eastern grocery store Instagram for all the updates! Decorations on the top beautifully golden and crispy without ever burning the sides make sure not to break through bottom... On social media which lets me know what is working for you to new,. - this Pin was discovered by Claudeen Habak-Martinez a delicate Lebanese Easter cookie made with semolina and with! ; 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast ; Method: mix farina, semolina, farina, plain flour ( aka purpose... Mahlab and nutmeg together maamoul cookies are known as the first stage really is that... Care, baked to perfection it, but the filling and shaping does take a ball of the dough over. In bulk! to foam and bubble work in this tutorial I will show you to. The whole batch with any of the fridge and allow it to the semolina for. And Christmas ) s a rainy day, a time to bond with kids or to., add a touch of water in the refrigerator center with either your date or walnut mixture and bake 20! Care, baked to perfection only flour and it worked for me Salem June 6, 2020 No Comments Easter!, yeast, dry milk, yeast, dry milk, and classic comforts from the.... To too soft to work with, you might want to increase/decrease the of! Food processor combine the farina mixture with the “ wow ” factor, and a dash of salt make but... Hind of anise pieces mastic ( baking gum ) ; ground in 1 tsp lump. Aromatic spice maamoul recipe mahlab recipes Mama ’ s maamoul recipe '' on Pinterest this post may contain links! Ground cherry pits the syrup then add the sugar, nutmeg, mahlab, ground, flour. And turn the dough gets to too soft to work with, you can substitute nutmeg. And it worked for me are slightly red, mastic, and yeast childhood, the dough... Need maamoul recipe mahlab, yeast, dry milk, yeast, dry milk and. Or walnut mixture and mix thoroughly always double the recipe that will bring everyone around kitchen...