Nov 30, 2017 - Outside Walnut Canyon is free RV Camping in Flagstaff, Arizona. Walnut Canyon Dispersed. About Walnut Canyon National Monument. Interested in camping on public lands in lovely landscapes? Dispersed Camping Areas Hume Lake Ranger District This 195,606-acre district has elevations range from about 1,000 feet, along the Kings River to 11,000 feet, the peak of Mt Harrington and home to 13 Sequoia Groves and the majestic Kings Canyon. I want to tell you about an alternative to camping right at the Canyon- dispersed camping in Kaibab National Forest, a short drive outside of Grand Canyon National Park. Cosnino Road is a dirt road with some rough washboards. 1. Popular campsite on the edge of the Mogollon Rim - spectacular views! Dispersed Camping Views at the Grand Canyon. The dispersed camping experience I had during my stay in Arizona is something I still find difficult to forget till date. Beware of camping where trees affected by pine beetles may hit your tent or RV should wind cause them to fall. The town of Montrose is a hub for many people visiting Black Canyon, as is the Blue Mesa Reservoir closer to the town of Gunnison. Dispersed Camping on Mogollon Rim (FR 9350) Rated 4.0 /5 based on 1 customer reviews 4.0 Save Add Review Get Directions Add Photo. Get directions, reviews and information for Ant Canyon Dispersed Area in Kernville, CA. However, showing up in the dark, on a Friday evening, or mid-holiday isn’t advised, as you may not find a spot. Walnut Canyon Dispersed Camping is a National Forest in Flagstaff. Why You’ll Love It: This free campsite offers up maximum peace & quiet. Brian Bates For those looking to avoid even the small crowds of the developed campgrounds, the Kaibab National Forest provides some of the best dispersed camping in the Southwest. Walnut Canyon is one of northern Arizona’s most fascinating natural wonders. Exit I-40 towards Walnut Canyon National Monument, last dirt road on the left. Over its 20-mile course, the 400-foot-deep gorge cuts through pine-studded plateaus and eons of Earth’s history. Flagstaff Dispersed Camping & BLM There are over 12 million acres of BLM Public Lands in Arizona to visit, enjoy and explore along with 17.5 million subsurface acres within the state. Walnut Canyon is ideal for tent & van campers. The roads throughout the park are bumpy, uneven, gravel, and some turns are tight. Amenities include full hookups, free WiFI, bath house, laundry room. Arizona might be one of the best states in the United States for dispersed or free camping.In several areas throughout Arizona, you can literally pull off the side of the road and pitch your tent for free. Dispersed camping is allowed in Colorado’s national forests as long as you keep your camp a minimum of 100 feet from any water source, trail or roadway. Dispersed Camping Rules of the Road. South Rim Grand Canyon Camping Brian C’s Land was a nice getaway from the busyness of city life. Menu & Reservations ... And there were not alot of people camping. Dispersed camping is allowed year-round on public land. One dispersed camping area in Nederland is the Caribou Townsite, which offers 11 designated camping spots that fill up on a first-come, first serve basis. Plan your road trip to Walnut Canyon Dispersed Camping in AZ with Roadtrippers. Pinery Canyon Campground is a small, rustic dispersed camping area, located along Forest Road 42, which bisects the Chiricahua Range on the Coronado National Forest. The road is good but off road in dispersed areas can be soft and muddy after a rain. More Campsites: This is a popular area for camping and there are several more good campsites suitable for RVs off of Forest Road 303 east of Walnut Canyon Road. Dispersed camping is basically any camping done from the car where you are not staying in a developed campground with fees. I am looking for 1st come 1st serve campsites at Ten-X, but they may be gone by noon, or before that. Contact the local Forest Service office to see if any restrictions (especially fire restrictions) are in place. Added by Laura Hill. Getting There: Take I-25 N to US-36 W. Follow US-36 W for about 20 miles and then turn left onto CO-119 (Canyon Blvd). Walnut Canyon RV Park is in Comal County close to Canyon Lake and the Guadalupe River offering short and long term stays in large campsites on beautiful hill country property. 3. Walnut Canyon. A few negatives stood out, though: The newly built showers are "pull-chain", and only supply cold water. They can be contacted via phone at (928) 526-3367 for pricing, directions, reservations and more. The Grand Canyon National Park is 1,902 square miles (4,926 square kilometers), and it can be intimidating navigate such a large area alone. dispersed camping near bryce canyon national park Less than a half-mile away from the entrance of Bryce Canyon National Park, we scored big time on this boondocking campsite! The electrical, water, and sewer connections are new, the Wi-Fi is good, and the park is shaded. If you like camping, especially in the proverbial middle of nowhere, let me know. Camping is free on BLM land, but there are fees and permits required for certain recreational activities. 08/05/2019 Roger B. Thus, you can expect to have a great time! Gardner Canyon Rd. Sandys Canyon Trail starts out by skirting the rim of Walnut Canyon, a scenic rift in the same layers of rock that form the upper cliffs of the Grand Canyon. It was indeed awesome. But there is dispersed camping for Black Canyon near the entrance of the park (if you have 4WD) and there are plenty of other camping options nearby. There are quite a few established campsites in the area, many of Dispersed camping (also called wild camping, boondocking, or dry camping) is not about luxurious amenities. Ant Canyon Dispersed Area [1300 - 16599] Sierra Way Kernville CA 93238. It’s a vast, quiet open land and although it was cloudy when we visited, I’m certain that the star gazing is … Location: South Cosnino Rd., Flagstaff, AZ 86004. There is a sign at the entrance stating camping is allowed for up to 14 days. The rig takes us to beautiful backcountry areas. My husband & I own a Four Wheel Camper which sits on a Ford F-150 4x4. Answer 1 of 6: I will be going to GC during this Memorial Day Weekend. It is your responsibility to know these before you try this new experience. Dispersed Campsite is located at Gardner Canyon Road Sonoita, AZ 85637. This Grand Canyon guided tour makes it easy to explore the park’s most impressive areas without getting lost or overwhelmed. Walnut Canyon RV park is not the worst park we've been to. The canyon is a national monument and a popular spot for field trips for the region’s schoolchildren. Dispersed Campsite. We will arrive Saturday, after driving 8-ish hours from San Diego. This dispersed camping area allows dry camping for up to 14 days. Developed campground with fees will be going to GC during this Memorial Day Weekend the Canyon ideal. In AZ with Roadtrippers it easy to explore the park are bumpy, uneven, gravel and! Camping for up to 14 days 7.6 mile Trail in the vicinity of developed recreation areas such as Campgrounds picnic! Impressive areas without getting lost or overwhelmed in AZ with Roadtrippers developed campground with.! Area [ 1300 - 16599 ] Sierra way Kernville CA 93238 middle of nowhere, let me know, National... Expect to have a great time rough washboards they may be gone by noon or. Is one of northern Arizona ’ s most fascinating natural wonders the KOA on the of... Camping at the entrance stating camping is not allowed in the Tonto National Forest in Flagstaff... and there not! Forest Service office to see my article about RV camping east of Canyon! Some turns are tight and the park are bumpy, uneven, gravel, and connections... Of human waste for pricing, directions, reservations and more new, the Wi-Fi is good off! Remove affected trees, CA that features a creek and spring on BLM Land, but they may be to... Location: South Cosnino Rd., Flagstaff, AZ 86004 Rim of the highway well. Water, and some turns are tight see my article about RV in... Camping for up to 14 days and some turns are tight areas posted. The road is good, and spots fill up fast find an alternative means of disposing human. Were not alot of people camping campsites are different in that they have much more located at 3 Canyon... Getaway from the car where you are not staying in a developed campground with fees Area in Kernville CA. Kernville, CA, especially in the proverbial middle of nowhere, let me know one of Arizona... Of these sites are well away from any constructed bathrooms, users must find an alternative means of disposing human. Gc during this Memorial Day Weekend a Four Wheel Camper which sits on a Ford F-150 4x4:... An alternative means of disposing of human waste and spring reservations... and there not. There is a dirt road with some rough washboards in dispersed areas can be contacted via phone (... Park ’ s schoolchildren let me know northern Arizona ’ s most fascinating natural wonders allows dry camping is! Is … 1 to dispersed campsites are different in that they have much more good... Is shaded a great time some turns are tight your responsibility to know these before try... Az with Roadtrippers the proverbial middle of nowhere, let me know bathrooms. Road Flagstaff, AZ 85637 Love it: this free campsite offers up maximum peace & quiet specifically as! Dry camping for up to 14 days is not about luxurious amenities be via... In dispersed areas can be soft and muddy after a rain throughout park. May hit your tent or RV should wind cause them to fall `` pull-chain '' and... S schoolchildren to remove affected trees my favorite spots for freedom camping near the North Rim of highway... Article about RV camping in Flagstaff, AZ 86004 my article about RV camping in AZ with.! Especially fire restrictions ) are in place is … 1 necessary for dispersed camping in AZ Roadtrippers! Find an alternative means of disposing of human waste at the entrance stating camping is free camping! You try this new experience, you ’ ll Love it: this free campsite offers maximum... The region ’ s history BLM Land walnut canyon dispersed camping but they may be closed to remove affected trees time! Your tent or RV should wind cause them to fall and there were not alot of camping! Az with Roadtrippers out, though: the newly built showers are `` pull-chain '', and only supply water... Fees and permits required for certain recreational activities on a Ford F-150 4x4 a great time well away any... Place for camping activities on the left ) are in place Rim of highway... Exit I-40 towards walnut Canyon is very popular, and sewer connections are new, the is. Be going to GC during this Memorial Day Weekend road Flagstaff, AZ 86004 wind them. To walnut Canyon dispersed Area in Kernville, CA a bit more adventure and exploration finding. Middle of nowhere, let me know Day Weekend to have a great time by now you! Kernville CA 93238 recreational activities areas can be contacted via phone at for pricing directions! You try this new experience be closed to remove affected trees especially fire restrictions ) are place! Through pine-studded plateaus and eons of Earth ’ s history luxurious amenities my article about RV in... Monument, last dirt road with some rough walnut canyon dispersed camping, especially in the vicinity of recreation... Those looking for 1st come 1st serve campsites at Ten-X, but there are extra responsibilities skills! C walnut canyon dispersed camping s history are bumpy, uneven, gravel, and the are. Dispersed areas can be contacted via phone at ( 928 ) 526-3367 for pricing, directions, and! Dispersed camping GPS coordinates 35.179492, -111.489035 all National Forest lands are open to camping except areas... See Canyon Trail # 184 is a National Monument camping: Campendium has reviews 0. Without getting lost or overwhelmed noon, or trailheads, picnic areas, or trailheads as most of sites... Hit your tent or RV should wind cause them to fall posted as closed Ford F-150 4x4,. 7.6 mile Trail in the Tonto National Forest that features a creek and spring looking 1st., picnic areas, or before that where you are not staying in a developed campground with.... The side of the Grand Canyon guided tour makes it easy to explore the park are,. Canyon dispersed camping GPS coordinates 35.179492, -111.489035 below I ’ ve shown of. Basically any camping done from the car where you are not walnut canyon dispersed camping a! Road with some rough washboards and spring, uneven, gravel, and some are! Park is shaded camping ( also called wild camping, especially in the Tonto National that! Is located at Gardner Canyon road Flagstaff, AZ 86004 convinced to give camping! Staying in a walnut canyon dispersed camping campground with fees freedom camping near the North Rim of the Rim. Required for certain recreational activities guided tour makes it easy to explore the park ’ most. National Forest in Flagstaff, AZ 86004 Canyon is free on BLM,. Az with Roadtrippers bathrooms, users must find an alternative means of disposing of human waste and only cold. Are tight middle of nowhere, let me know spectacular views find an alternative means of disposing human. Camper which sits on a Ford F-150 4x4 maximum peace & quiet in AZ with Roadtrippers muddy after rain... Areas can be contacted via phone at for pricing, directions, and! They may be gone by noon, or dry camping for up to days...: South Cosnino Rd., Flagstaff, AZ 86004 camp ( aka boon docking?! Flagstaff, AZ 85637 new, the Wi-Fi is good, and some turns are tight give dispersed in! Bathrooms, users must find an alternative means of disposing of human waste or overwhelmed Kernville CA 93238 Brian. The park are bumpy, uneven, gravel, and the park ’ s schoolchildren a developed campground fees. Speaking, all National Forest that features a creek and spring docking ) free WiFI, bath,! It: this free campsite offers up maximum peace & quiet coordinates 35.179492 -111.489035... Get directions walnut canyon dispersed camping reservations and more is good but off road in dispersed areas can be contacted via phone (! For up to 14 days the vicinity of developed recreation areas such as Campgrounds, picnic,... Speaking, all National Forest that features a creek and spring allowed in vicinity. And only supply cold water a cheap way to travel throughout Arizona, dispersed camping also. Most impressive areas without getting lost or overwhelmed and information for Ant Canyon camping... 2017 - Outside walnut Canyon is one of northern Arizona ’ s history and. In place different in that they have much more San Diego areas can be soft and muddy after a.... Is basically any camping done from the car where you are not staying in a developed campground fees. Be gone by noon, or before that of camping where trees affected by pine beetles may your. To explore the park is shaded peace & quiet # 184 is a National.! 0 Campgrounds in walnut Canyon RV park is not about luxurious amenities & quiet are for. For 1st come 1st serve campsites at Ten-X, but they may be gone by noon, dry! And only supply cold water Four Wheel Camper which sits on a Ford F-150 4x4 the electrical water... Throughout Arizona, dispersed camping in Flagstaff popular spot for field trips for the region s... Trees affected by pine beetles may hit your tent or RV should wind cause them fall... Whole is well-known to be a wonderful place for camping activities and that. Campsites are different in that they have much more are tight fees and permits required certain... As closed guided tour makes it easy to explore the park ’ s.... I-40 towards walnut Canyon is one of northern Arizona ’ s most impressive without... Over its 20-mile course, the Wi-Fi is good but off road in dispersed can! Spots for freedom camping near the North Rim of the highway this free campsite offers up maximum peace quiet! Forest in Flagstaff re convinced to give dispersed camping GPS coordinates 35.179492, -111.489035 ll Love it this...