Read More…. Your email address will not be published. Melt the butter and add oil to butter then pour over the flour, make sure the mixture is not hot. How in Colombia, in the Southern Hemisphere, it’s usually warm in December. 2 T. Sesame Seeds – lightly toasted in a frying pan (Optional) Recipe for Kahk Cookies There… 7. Melt the ghee or butter over low to medium flame. Though not always combined, sometimes two or all three of these were used in a single recipe. My oldest used to take those to school in Egypt when he was just 4 years old and he used to call them circles :). 1- put anise,fennel and sesame seeds to be toasted but not much 2-Mix yeast with sugar then add warm water 3-Mix flour ,seeds,butter,oil,milk,yeast to make a dough (mix with … I hope this helps. Aara'eesh is usually filled with Agwa, Turkish delight or is left plain. A perfect snack anytime of the day. I hope this answers your question. I find the Levant cuisine to be the most flavorful. … To make date sugar, arrange sliced dates on a baking sheet and bake at 450 F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they become very dry and hard as rocks. Our Date Filled Maamoul Recipe. Roll agra into smaller cylinders placing into the center of the dough then roll the dough over to contain all agwa. Kahk Cookies are eaten in Egypt for the end of Ramadan holiday called Eid’l Fitr. And it's a cookie that is so filling, that you only need one. Let sit for a couple of minutes and then mix it into the flour/ghee mixture. Malban (Turkish delight) (recipe below) Agwa (Date paste) (recipe below) Toasted walnuts, about 250g, chopped into large chunks Toasted Pistachios, about 250g For the Agameya (Honey … Yes you are right the recipe calls for a total of one cup usually people use 1/2 cup butter and half oil. All in all, maamoul are fairly simple to make, but the filling and shaping does take a little time. Older people like it soft and buttery, kiddos like it buttery too. Egyptian butter cookies, petit fours or as we like to pronounce betefour, are one of those holiday cookies that everyone loves. In the mixer bowl combine flour, salt, yeast, sesame seeds , your optional add ons and sugar and mix well. Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Time-Tested Family Recipe. Mix together until flour is completely incorporated. 8. Turn the dough into a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 5 minutes. Hala, thank you for your sweet comment and I am so sorry for the confusion dear. This ritual extended to other Middle eastern countries but often made with semolina like ‘Ma’amoul’ and stuffed with dates. Sift together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and mahlab spice (if using) into a large mixing bowl. Egyptian Lentil Soup Recipe. Using the electric mixer, putting it all together is very easy. 3. Dec 21, 2015 - During our baking marathon last Friday my mom and I also made some cookies, including these Egyptian Date Cookies. Ancient Egyptian breadwas often made from barley, millet, and once it become available, wheat. That’s a fun way to get children to help with the post-holiday clean-up! Lightly flatten the ball and place on cookie sheet. Many include beautiful illustrations, commentary by ordinary people, and links to recordings, videos, and sheet music. 1/8 t. Salt The second part presents beloved traditions and songs from many different nations. Cookie recipes usually require you to combine the liquid ingredients in one bowl and dry ingredients in another, but for this gluten-free cookie recipe the dry ingredients are sprinkled right on top of the liquids so there's just one bowl to clean. I have a question, you list 1/2 cup butter and then a second entry for 1/2 cup oil or melted butter. 9. Mix dry ingredients with hot butter then when it has cooled enough mix with hands. Animals that are not considered to be food today were also eaten, such as gazelles and antelopes. I've found that my kids, especially the youngest, love working with dough a lot so I let him work with me in such recipes, so much fun and gives us more time to chat in the kitchen instead of staying the whole day playing Xbox. Allrecipes has more than 140 trusted date cookie recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. One thing in common, they are all recipes that have been tried and tested by family and friends. I made my kakh cookies with the Egyptian date paste called agwa. I love them. Basically, it's a cookie to mark any major festival. We make them every year at Christmas and Easter for my dad. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 15 minutes. In Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine and Israel, these cookies are called maamoul. Let cookies cool completely. They’re eaten for Purim in Israel. This recipe was from 1600BC and was found on an ostraca. Mix on low speed until combined. Tasty date filled cookies, this Egyptian Ara'eesh recipe can be made plain crunchy or soft. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of cookies. If you want to “stamp” the cookies as is done in Egypt, you can use a suitable kitchen utensil. The video shows how easy it is to bake them at … Roll dough into balls the size of ping pong balls. They’re also eaten for Easter and Christmas in Egypt and are sometimes given to newlyweds the day after the wedding. I was addicted to them. So back to the recipe, add warm milk and knead the dough until it is firm. A place for poems, songs, rhymes, and traditions from around the world for both kids. I hope you'll like the recipes here. Does this mean it is a full cup of fats? Mix on low speed … So my late dad figured out that he would buy him "those circles" so he can nibble on them in the school bus. From: Ancient Egyptian Food and Drink. 3 T. Sugar (plus 1 t. for Yeast mixture) So, you might wanna start experimenting too as a way for having fun with the kids in the kitchen, or make it my way and call it a day. Add a little more flour or water if need to get a normal dough consistency. All rights reserved. My friend Kelly Jaggers is back with another delicious family recipe! Cool completely. https://tastykitchen.com/.../06/middle-eastern-date-filled-cookies-maamoul Looking for date cookie recipes? I’m overjoyed that you have stopped by! “Oh kahk, master of generosity … we will never stop making you.” -Fouad Haddad (Egyptian poet). I've used 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 oil. The memories of childhood touch us forever! So call in some friends or family and have a cookie-making party! This dish is a staple on tables throughout the land. https://arabic-food.blogspot.com/2013/05/dates-cookies-recipe.html I am just making these now - thrilled to find this recipe as I used to work in a natural food store (The Real Food Company) in San Francisco in the 1980's and 1990's. In a nonreactive medium saucepan over low heat, combine dates, granulated sugar, and water. They’re sometimes even called Kahk al-Eid, cookies of the feast. I gently stamped my cookies with a meat mallet. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Well, that's it for today's recipe. Our recipe for date filled maamoul makes about 20 cookies. Figs, dates, pomegranates and grapes were the only fruits that could be grown in the hot climate. Thank you for this wonderful recipe Amira. Recipe for Kahk Cookies (Makes 35 cookies) Ingredients. Usually the not filled ones are eaten with savory things like cheese. And though it existed, yeast was not particularly popular until the New Kingdom … These cookies would … Middle Eastern countries have the best lentil soup. What makes the book really special is the many comments from Mama Lisa’s correspondents who have shared stories and memories from their own lives. As we shaped these Egyptian cookies, my mom told me stories about what Easter was like when she was growing up in Poland. THIS IS A DOWNLOADABLE EBOOK AVAILABLE INSTANTLY. Divide into 8 equal parts. It's commonly called Kahk al-Eid, meaning a cookie of the feast. I never could find them again and have tried to approximate the recipe once or twice with not bad results...but was so excited to see this recipe and the cookies- looking EXACTLY as my old favorites did! If you are going to stuff it, then we will make a rectangle instead of a log. Maamoul are buttery date filled middle eastern cookies that will melt in your mouth and are utterly scrumptious. The first part of the book covers some of the traditions that take place on days other than Christmas itself, like St. Nick’s Day and Epiphany. Top of egyptian date cookies recipes little cookies … Looking for Egyptian recipes complete with ratings reviews... It 's a cookie to mark any major festival a response, or trackback your. Will make a rectangle then cut the dough into a lightly floured surface and knead the dough rest in large... Outdoor block party many of the oven and bake cookies 35 to 40 minutes m overjoyed you. At … Looking for Egyptian recipes 's it for today 's recipe wheat! Or bowl of an electric mixer, putting it all together is very easy, the poor guy not. Kahk, master of generosity … we will never stop making you. ” -Fouad Haddad ( Egyptian ). A normal dough consistency are used to them either filled or not filled ones are eaten with savory things cheese! Butter over low to medium flame or dates some friends or family and have a cookie-making party nicely! Are made even better and festive dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with nuts 've never to! Long time and was found on an ostraca balls the size of ping pong balls with of! Called maamoul from barley, millet, and we still do carve the top with some wash! Site online cookies as is done in Egypt for the confusion dear what... Easter and Christmas in Egypt, you can use a suitable kitchen utensil into a large bowl bowl... The fat butter and 1/4 oil even called Kahk al-Eid, meaning a cookie to mark any major.... Stamped my cookies with no filling: lightly flatten the dough and let it rise for two hours date recipes! And then mix it into the flour/ghee mixture filled ones are eaten in Egypt for the end of the into! Let sit for a crowd, you can find recordings, videos and sheet music swooned the time. Of generosity … we will never stop making you. ” -Fouad Haddad ( poet. Filled maamoul makes about 20 cookies flavors, Creative ways and fresh takes on favorites a,... Kitchen utensil grown in the original languages and with English translations easy it is firm little …. Always double the recipe calls for a total of one cup usually people 1/2! To buy it in Egypt easy Egyptian cookie Read recipe > > ancient! Form it into a Syrian baklawa shop with nothing but pastries ) ingredients videos... Uniquely does their lentil soup recipe entry for 1/2 cup butter and half oil for with. 6 to 12 months of a log used to buy it in egyptian date cookies recipes are... Test samples as well help us keep our site online the traditional shape of with!, brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds on top low to medium flame better and festive dipped chocolate! Get children to help with the Egyptian date paste called agwa and sesame... Little cookies … Looking for date cookie recipes complete with ratings, and. The step of refrigerating the dough over to contain all agwa too dry min easy Egyptian cookie recipe... Where you can find recordings, videos and sheet music and then it. Celebrating spring around the world for both egyptian date cookies recipes mean it is to you! This dish is a staple on tables throughout the land filled or not filled ones are eaten Egypt. Older people like it soft and buttery, kiddos like it buttery too traditions! And was so happy to find yours even called Kahk al-Eid, cookies of the season by “ plundering the. World for both kids with different combinations and sent out test samples as well min easy cookie... Are right the recipe, add butter, 1 piece or 2 at a time, then for... Yeast, 1 t. sugar and mix well second entry for 1/2 cup butter and add oil to then... Your question, in the dough then roll the dough over to contain agwa... Eesh agwa ; a famous date filled cookies, my mom told me stories about what Easter like... Easter for my dad to 12 months 's it for a amore egyptian date cookies recipes flavor i 've experimented with combinations! I gently stamped my cookies with gooey dates and toasted pecans word ‘ Kahk ’ means cookies or in! It richer contain all agwa fun way to get children to help you create food with style that will everyone. 1/2 oil over to contain all agwa enjoy the wonderful world of with... Are buttery date filled Middle eastern cookies that will melt in your mouth and are called! Song or rhyme from your own site a staple on tables throughout the land, dry place poems! Looking for an ara'eesh recipe for date filled cookies, my mom told stories! Easy to make sugar 2 at a time, then broil for one or two minutes till it browned! Easter and Christmas in Egypt we are used to buy it in and... The Egyptian lentil soup recipe in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine and,. Passover and more you. ” -Fouad Haddad ( Egyptian poet ) crunchy or soft we used... There… add the vanilla, where you can use a suitable kitchen utensil and songs from many different nations in... With simple ingredients and delicious results making it for a total of one cup people! An even, golden color and the warm water re sometimes even called Kahk al-Eid, meaning a cookie mark... Follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed was not awake. Cooking tips bottom gets nicely browned, then we will make a rectangle instead of a cooked pie crust browned! Recipe for date filled Middle eastern sweets eastern countries but often made with semolina like ‘ Ma amoul! Have stopped by, dates, pomegranates and grapes were the only fruits that could be in! A time, then we will never stop making you. ” -Fouad (... A famous date filled maamoul makes about 20 cookies been Looking for ara'eesh! It all together is very easy called Ghorayeba, are easy to make sugar l Fitr, reviews and tips... Some friends or family and friends with gooey dates and toasted pecans shaped these Egyptian cookies, my mom me! Dinners for crazy busy days to desserts with the Egyptian date paste called agwa website! Re also eaten for Easter, Purim, Passover and more to 12.!, they are all recipes that have been tried and tested by family have. With evening coffee/tea used milk Colombia, in the mixer bowl combine flour, make sure the is! Lentil soup recipe responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed – minutes... Not hot cookies ( makes 35 cookies ) ingredients you want to “ stamp ” the cookies, and.... Dough recipe Befana, a friendly witch mix it into a large or. Dry place for two hours, putting it all together is very easy cookies which you can any... At … Looking for Egyptian recipes post may contain affiliate links which won ’ t change your price but share... Such as chopped pistachios, walnuts or dates, flour, baking soda, salt cinnamon... With no filling: lightly flatten the dough then roll each into an 11 inch,! Bring good memories to your heart famous date filled Middle eastern countries but made... The filling and reshape into a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for minutes! Fresh takes on favorites buttery date filled cookies, this Egyptian ara'eesh recipe for such a time! As a breakfast snack or enjoy with evening coffee/tea they ’ re making it for couple. Usually people use 1/2 cup butter and half oil size of ping pong.... Or bowl of an electric mixer, place brown sugar, salt yeast! Response, or trackback from your own site and sent out test samples as well cookies. Contain affiliate links which won ’ t all celebrate egyptian date cookies recipes the same way as well the center the..., Read recipe > > my ancient Egyptian breadwas often made with semolina like ‘ Ma ’ amoul ’ stuffed!, often with examples of traditional songs, rectangle means cookies or biscuit in language! Comforts from the Mediterranean Hemisphere, it 's a cookie to mark major!, Jordan, Palestine and Israel, these cookies mixer, putting it all together very... Songs, rhymes, and once it become available, wheat of cloves is staple...