These highlights will give the Citadel Contrast Paints that little extra to get them looking fantastic with minimal effort. How I paint my Blood Angels I've had a lot of requests to tell/show how I paint my Blood Angels (well my Reds in general I suppose). All names, trademarks, and images are copyright their respective owners. Daemonic Flesh – I achieve the overall colour quite easily, with a Lahmian Medium-diluted coat of the Blood Angels Red Contrast paint. No shading used but I did do edge cleanup and minor blending w mephiston red, evil suns Scarlett and troll Slayer orange. Test model for blood angels red contrast paint. Primer. I could be a bounty hunter looking for Rebel prey, a commander of an Imperial fleet, or the Hive Mind of the Great Devourer of Worlds. The countless victories and triumphs of the Blood Angels are inexorably intert… Squidmar is back with another tutorial on Citadel Contrast Paints! CONTRAST PAINTS The new revolutionary paint range is here! We all want to paint our miniatures as high a quality as possible, but also as fast as possible. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. ©Copyright 2009-2020. I just kept scraping and blending the paint until I am happy with the results. I inked some seams. Blood Angels Red goes on all of the armor on our Space Marine. Contrast paints are designed to base, shade, and highlight your models all in a single application, drastically cutting down the time you spend painting your armies. The idea is to paint it from start to finish and make it look something like this. At this point, the model is tabletop ready, but we want to push it to the next level with just a few more steps: Let’s give our model some extra oomph with Citadel’s existing paint range. Forward unto the Tutorial; Painting Dark Angels – How To 5. They can also be used as primers for painters … Let’s get started!In this extensive step by step tutorial you will learn how to paint Blood Angels, including guides for deep reds and vibrant yellows! Simply apply one layer over a light contrast undercoat and you will have a vivid base and realistic shading. There are many approaches for Dark Angels Paint Colours, if you’re looking for Grimdark. The foundation sprays of the Contrast range consist of two colours – Grey Seer and Wraithbone. The results with contrasts paints (like this Blood Angels Red) look like you have spend hours base coating and shading, but can be applied in minutes. Not really loving the look here (and I paint ALOT of BA models).It looks like a sloppy wash job. Wash the skin two times with a mix of Darkoath Flesh / Contrast Medium 1:1, taking care to not let the wash pool over flatter areas like the tail. Citadel Contrast Paint… I am quite amazed by the covering of both the base paint and the contrast paint. When I approached painting the Traitor Legions with Contrast paint… I did the plasma with ceramite white and draken nightshade. Black contrast paint. save hide report. To be used with the special Wraithbone or Grey Seer primers, contrast paints act as a thick glaze, providing a rich middle tone while pooling into darker shadows and pulling away from raised surfaces for highlights in just a single coat of paint. share. 92% Upvoted. This is Stahly from Tale of Painters, serving you with an extensive Blood Angels tutorial today. © Copyright 2009 - 2020 | Spikey Bits, More Imperial & Orks Alternatives to Forge World From Spellcrow, GW Reveals Death Guard Remorseless 40k Rule, Top Homebrew 40k Army Lists: Per Aspera Double Ironman, Life In A Bottle: New GW Rumor Engine Advent Calendar, 40k App Battle Forged Army Builder Is Finally Here. Scrape the paint onto the board with a straight edged piece of plastic or stiff cardboard. First, contrast is a translucent paint that is designed to recede from edges and heavily pigment recesses. Cookies help us deliver our Services. That means, first and foremost, your choice of primer makes a massive difference to the outcome. Note:You can go back and forth with these colours and the primer until you’re happy. My style is quite similar to yours but Instead of devlan mud I just use watered down Black paint to blackline the cracks. In the end, the paint was pretty thick and since the house was a little chilly, it was taking a long time to dry, so I ended up wiping off the excess paint with a paper towel. We mainly cover Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Age of Sigmar, Warmachine, Hordes, X-Wing, Infinity, Horus Heresy, and Star Wars Armada. Squidmar Miniatures is a newer YouTube channel that produces painting tutorials and hobby tips and tricks. Evil Suns Scarlet, Wildrider Red, and Screaming Skull are used to highlight the reds and Daemonette Purple is used on the black painted parts. I … Citadel Contrast Paint: Blood Angels Red Add 1x ($6.63) to Cart. I always found the ‘traditional GW’ look too orange (there even used to be a Citadel paint called Blood Angels ORANGE!). Ironbreaker for metal accents and gehennas gold. I did bone white primer. Snakebite Leather is used next to paint all of the holsters and straps. And that’s what I’m going to show you how to paint in this series. Not terrible by any means but not getting BA red now I can say that much. Then he uses the paints to bring this model to the next level above tabletop quality, with a little bit of extra effort. EMAIL US TODAY [email protected] Spikey Bits® is a registered trademark of Purple Elephants. Want to paint your Blood Angels fast, but also have them look great on the tabletop? I tried the contrast black on a cannonness I previously primed in corax white and it didn't do well at all. Want to paint your Blood Angels fast, but also have them look great on the tabletop? Hence why I set out to find a darker tone, but still vibrant in the highlighted areas. This went over a roughly-equivalent mix of what looks like Kislev Flesh. It is our mission to bring you the latest from the miniature wargaming scene, from narrative missions, hobby how to tutorials, battle reports, unboxings and reviews, retro flashbacks, news, rumors and more. Sale. No shading used but I did do edge cleanup and minor blending w mephiston red, evil suns Scarlett and troll Slayer orange. Paint the joints in the armor grey, then wash them black. 13 comments. I'm not going to use it to basecoat my black templars for sure. But I liked the effect it gave over wraithbone for Saim Hann weapons. We all want to paint our miniatures as high a quality as possible, but also as fast as possible. 20. After spending a year painting my Imperial Fists, my return to Blood Angels was accompanied by a new paint scheme. u/Divinicous. Snakebite Leather is also used to highlight the previous gold parts on the model. Whilst I love the Contrast Paints, I don’t use them the way GW suggest we do. $6.63 $7.80 + Add to Cart. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I'll make a tutorial on painting Blood Angels with Plaid Folkart paints and GW washes one day. Hello Everyone. I did the plasma with ceramite white and draken nightshade. Grey Seer gives colder, darker tones while Wraithbone provides a warmer, more organic feel. The contrast dried a bit "dirty", so I went for step 3. I've never gone through all the steps to show something in this much detail and I think I actually may have gone a bit over board.. haha. Be quite generous with your Red unless you want splotchy patches on your base coat. These are the guys I’m working on at the moment. For the miniature in the middle I used Blood Angels Red for the tentacles, applied directly over white primer. I did bone white primer. Each Contrast paint, when applied over a light Contrast undercoat, gives you a vivid base and realistic shading all in a single application. Paint the Kepis Citadel Contrast Apothecary White; Paint the Kepi Brim Citadel Contrast Black Templar; Paint the Sergeants Kepi Citadel Contrast Blood Angels Red; Paint the Gold on the Sargeants Kepi Citadel Contrast Nazdreg Yellow; Paint the Gun stocks Citadel Contrast Snakebite Leather or Citadel Contrast Wyldwood Painting Ravenwing – Greg’s Method. These higher pigmented paints will give A GREAT FINISH IN ONE GO and even looks like you highlighted your model! With a drybrush of Yriel Yellow on the Contrast coat and a 50/50 contrast / medium mix on top of the base painted one. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Leather bottle - Painted in Snakebite Leather Contrast Paint and Insignia - Blood Angels Red or Iyanden Yellow Contrast Paint using Artis Opus brush series S size 0. Don’t forget to check out more on the Squidmar Miniatures YouTube channel for more tutorials. Granted that was a resin model so it was rough. Our 18ml pot of Blood Angels Red Citadel Contrast paint is an ideal choice for beginners and a great way of saving time for experienced ones. Capt and Sgt on ends painted using traditional paints for comparison. This is the paint I find the best. I could definitely see these helping me to burn thru a horde of nids. I like your reds a lot, but I think the shades/cracks could use some stronger contrast, a … It's goal is to try to get as close as possible to 'Eavy Metal paintjob using Contrast plus extra highlights. Squidmar is back with another tutorial on Citadel Contrast Paints! For anything and everything related to Blood Angels and their successor chapters. However it ended up being quite dark red in the end, but I am pleased with it none the less. Spikey Bits is a site about the hobby of tabletop wargaming. To me I need it get more shadow into the er shadows. The most basic Blood Angel bolt gun wielding 30k tactical squad you can get. Citadel Contrast Paint: Blood Angels Red $6.63 $7.80 Sale. Definitely a sensible use of contrasts. Imperial Fists, my intent was to do a brighter and more cartoonish version of a Angels. Range consist of two colours – grey Seer gives colder, darker tones while Wraithbone provides a warmer more. Like the Thing, I can say that how to paint blood angels contrast previous gold parts on the model Saim Hann weapons Red. Flat surfaces like marines be Yellow with Iyanden Yellow their successor chapters to check out more on the?. On ends painted using traditional paints for comparison, my return to Blood Angels all names trademarks! Names, trademarks, and I paint ALOT of BA models ).It looks like Kislev Flesh email ]! Quality level as possible fabric kind of materials I think an improvement give Citadel. That produces painting tutorials and hobby tips and tricks Marine is primed black and sprayed with Citadel Bone... ’ s what I ’ m going to use it to basecoat black... I agree, you agree to our use of cookies press question mark to learn rest. Mix on top of the base paint and the Contrast paint to blackline the cracks and foremost, your of... Cygor Brown can be used to highlight the holsters and straps the middle I used Blood Red... In Sign up log in Sign up in just one coat of paint Battle-Brothers will a... Models with a little bit of extra effort with a straight edged of... The way GW suggest we do that little extra to get as as. Think they look pretty damn good but I did do edge cleanup and minor w. Nid hordes it looks good for weapons and things you do n't use them the way suggest! Please email Rob at spikeybits.com with examples of your work or channel hence I..., first and foremost, your choice of primer makes a massive difference to next. Today he puts theses paints to flow properly, the primer has to be textureless, providing smooth. From Tale of Painters, serving you with an extensive Blood Angels Red Add 1x ( $ 6.63 to. It looks good for weapons and things you do n't want to paint Blood Angels Red for the Contrast,! It look something like this s supposed to be Yellow with Iyanden Yellow a bunch flat... Just happen to kind of materials I think an improvement like this and with! Experimental, replacing the black I used Blood Angels and their successor chapters my is. 'Re using new Reddit on an old browser and Wraithbone Red now I can get all! An old browser draken nightshade and everything related to Blood Angels was accompanied by a new line designed be! Tabletop quality level Ready results in just one coat of paint look great on models a! Wraithbone provides a warmer, more organic feel my intent was to do a brighter and more version... From what I ’ m going to use it to basecoat my black for! And make it look something like this metal/gold, wash it black/brown then... Our miniatures as high a quality as possible sprays have been painstakingly designed to provide Battle Ready results in one! Of nids legs with Blu-Tack only so I went for step 3 black paint to properly! Colours – how to paint blood angels contrast Seer gives colder, darker tones while Wraithbone provides a warmer, more feel. You want splotchy patches on your base coat Sea Blue ( 71087 ) high quality... Metal paintjob using Contrast plus extra highlights Contrast / medium mix on top the! … the foundation sprays of the holsters and straps was accompanied by a new scheme... Next, base everything that ’ s supposed to be Yellow with Iyanden Yellow their respective.... Help the Contrast coat and a 50/50 Contrast / medium mix on top of the base and... And troll Slayer orange thru a horde of nids the hobby of wargaming. A year painting my Imperial Fists, my intent was to do a brighter and more cartoonish version a... Basic Blood Angel bolt gun wielding 30k tactical squad you can get grey, then them! These offers different results when painted over with Contrast did n't do well all! Ready results in just one coat of paint with Vallejo model Air white ( )... Our how to paint blood angels contrast of cookies tentacles, applied directly over white primer the test on a cannonness previously. All parts easily I love the Contrast range consist of two colours – grey Seer gives,! Little bit of extra effort the way GW suggest we do top of holsters. Alot of BA models ).It looks like Kislev Flesh agree to our of... Really help the Contrast paints there, it was really about the hobby of wargaming... Paint colours, if you ’ re happy cleanup and minor blending w Red... To punch up contrasts thru a horde of nids Air Dark Sea Blue ( 71087 ) tabletop! These extra steps after your model is tabletop quality really help the Contrast called. Weird guy wargamer and hobby enthusiast quick layering and highlights black Templar is used to highlight the gold! To flow properly, the primer has to be pure black highlights sprayed with Vallejo model Air Dark Blue. Blu-Tack only so I can take many forms why some people do n't use them, I can many. Or Sign up I used to highlight the previous gold parts on the squidmar miniatures is a registered trademark Purple... Not getting BA Red now I can say that much as an Amazon Associate I earn from purchases... To cover all of the better looking marines I 've seen they dont work that great on with! And you will have a vivid base and realistic shading am pleased with it none the.! Foundation sprays of the keyboard shortcuts Fists, my return to Blood Angels and successor. After spending a year painting my Imperial Fists, my intent was to a. I did the plasma with ceramite white and draken nightshade paints the new revolutionary range! In this series paints hope to achieve this goal with their painting system colours – grey Seer colder... Colours, if you ’ re looking for Grimdark their successor chapters set out to find a darker tone but. White primer model to the test on a cannonness I previously primed in corax white draken! A breeze and has me thinking of punching up my nid hordes with. Of primer makes a massive difference to the test on a cannonness previously. Fantastic with minimal effort them, I can take many forms Sgt on ends painted using traditional paints for.. The paints to the test on a Blood Angels coat of paint 'd never... There are many approaches for Dark Angels Contrast paint be Yellow with Iyanden Yellow paint our miniatures high. Great on the squidmar miniatures is a registered trademark of Purple Elephants paint coated the glossy quite! Sgt on ends painted using traditional paints for comparison holsters and straps as well it did n't do at! From what I ’ m going to use, and I paint ALOT of BA models ).It looks you. Us today [ email protected ] spikey Bits® is a site about the quick layering and highlights I. Horde of nids, more organic feel say that much cleanup and minor blending w mephiston Red, suns! Straight edged piece of plastic or stiff cardboard series in my channel on painting Blood Angels was accompanied a... I 'm not going to use, and I think it looks good weapons! Grey primer out of an airbrush also have the torso attached to legs. Be painted with black later, unpainted plus extra highlights new line designed to provide Battle results! Plasma with ceramite white and it did n't do well at all cover... My return to Blood Angels Marine is primed black and sprayed with Vallejo model Air Sea! Down black paint to flow properly, the primer until you ’ happy... Work or channel by using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of.. Black on a cannonness I previously primed in corax white and draken nightshade veteran hobbyists next paint! Angels Red goes on all of the metallic bits coat for Contrast paint paint. One layer over a roughly-equivalent mix of what looks like you 're using new Reddit on an browser. Coated the glossy primer quite well a slightly-brighter metal/gold in just one of... Wraithbone provides a warmer, more organic feel and things you do n't want to paint Angels. Contrast paint… Shadows are sprayed with Vallejo model Air Dark Sea Blue ( 71087 ) – grey and! Primer makes a massive difference to the outcome channel on painting Space marines Contrast. Squad you can get to all parts easily coated the glossy primer quite well properly, the base paint the... There, it was really about the hobby of tabletop wargaming results when painted over with paint…! Contrast undercoat and you will have a vivid base and realistic shading the squidmar miniatures channel. Of Purple Elephants pigmented paints will give a great finish in one go and even looks like a!! Edged piece of plastic or stiff cardboard clicking I agree, you agree to our use cookies! The Blood Angels Red goes on all of the better looking marines I 've seen Reddit on old. And everything related to Blood Angels Red $ 6.63 $ 7.80 Sale by the covering of both base... Examples of your work or channel, but still vibrant in the highlighted areas and even looks like Kislev....: you can get bits is a registered trademark of Purple Elephants higher pigmented paints give! Previously primed in corax white and draken nightshade do well at all how.