Moving wildlife can spread disease to animals in areas where the nuisance individuals are moved. Check with your wildlife agency or state game commission regarding relocation. I called a game commission officer to see what my options are. Relocation is illegal in some states. It is illegal for you to move or relocate an animal off your property. Some Part of the United States Allow Humane Trapping Of Groundhog No professional company is going to relocate them, they will be killed, probably by gunshot or gas chamber depending on what company. After contacting the PA State Game Commission in my jurisdiction, I was told that I could release the groundhog pretty much wherever I pleased. Fences should be at least 3 feet high and made of heavy poultry wire or 2-inch mesh woven wire. Each Spring and Summer my garden seems to attract a host of critters. is it illegal to kill groundhogs in maryland They are excellent burrowers known to use burrows for sleeping, rearing young, and hibernating. One option is to find an animal-loving landowner who wouldn't mind having a resident groundhog. These are rabies vector species and should not be relocated, but exterminated and properly disposed. Animal Control does lethal injection. Safety is a concern. MD Code, Estates and Trusts, § 14.5-407 : Maryland enacted its original "pet trust" law in 2009. Love the area, just don't love the groundhog who decided to move under our shed recently. To prevent burrowing under the fence, bury the lower edge 10 to 12 inches below ground, o… groundhogs are called groundhogs because they are a hog and they go in the ground that's why they are called groundhogs. without permission. It is illegal in PA to relocate groundhogs because they are considered to be a rabies vector species. Even within the United States, it is illegal to trap groundhog while it is completely legal in some states. Dig each out about 1 foot deep, then cover the hole with 3' x 3' of wire fencing and bury the fencing securely. If you need a wild animal removed from your property, contact a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator (NWCO). 5. 7. It is unlawful to release wildlife on state-owned lands (State Parks, WMAs, etc.) Although they don’t have their alarm clocks set for February 2 nd, beginning of February is generally when groundhogs first emerge from their hibernation.You may be asking what it has to do with you, besides the early spring predictions. A.22 caliber rifle or a shotgun with #4–6 shot is suitable. Since skunks – as well as raccoons, bats, groundhogs, foxes and coyotes – are rabies vector species, they should not be relocated like other wildlife. If you choose to relocate, it is suggested that the animal be taken at least five miles away and out-of-town. Garden State Wildlife Control provides groundhog methods which will prevent future groundhog damage. In order to have a pet groundhog, special permits and licenses are required. Some people advise you to relocate a groundhog at least 5 miles away from your property. After the young are able to leave, you can an attempt to drive the woodchucks from their burrow. In most states, it is illegal to domesticate, sell, or barter a groundhog. Shumaker’s Animal Control is a twenty-five-year veteran of the animal and pest control profession. 1. You need to be able to dispatch the animal on site as it is illegal to transport wild animals or have them in … As Certified Nuisance Wild Animal Control Operators in the State of Ohio, we’d like to help the public understand the regulations as they pertain to the removal of nuisance groundhogs (woodchucks). We have 1/8 acre of land with neighbors close by on both sides. They have small ears and black eyes. It is actually against the law to trap and relocate Rodentia. Of course, we have thousands of birds. Only two private land dangerous opossum wildlife trapping hunting certificates per wildlife management company are allowed this year within Zone 1 and 2 and several U.P. Trap type is very important and there are many different types, bait is somewhat relevant, trap placement is vital, and there are dozens of small things that are very important to know. If you’re lucky though, you live in a state that allows you to relocate the groundhog. Bending the top 15 inches of the wire fence outward at a 45-degree angle will prevent groundhogs from climbing over the fence. The average lifespan of a groundhog is 3 years. They are also herbivores, and can eat your garden or other plants. This blog post is a summary of the laws as we read them; hence the following disclosure. A landowner permit is needed to trap chipmunks, opossums, porcupines, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, tree squirrels and woodchucks in Maryland. Shooting is quick, simple, and effective in areas where firearm discharge is safe and legal. So if you’re moving to Maryland, get ready to play (or at least watch) some lax, brah. A Little Groundhog R&R (Release and Relocation) Before moving and releasing your trapped groundhog it may be a good idea to check out the local state game regulations in your locality. 2. The groundhog shown in the movie Groundhog Day looks like a cute little creature, but, in reality, there's nothing cute about these animals. As long as you get permission first, you could also consider a state wildlife management area. They often live under a shed or porch, and can move a lot of soil. Releasing a skunk or a raccoon can be a risky situation. We use only humane, live removal and relocation according to New Jersey state guidelines. Homeowners who set traps and catch these species face the choice of killing the animal or releasing it. While humans and groundhogs can often coexist, sometimes a single groundhog can become a big nuisance. 3. The cage-type trap must be labeled with your full name and address, or Conservation ID number; must be attended daily; and have an opening of 144 square inches or smaller. When is a child in Maryland a legal adult? Groundhogs are primarily a pest species due to their burrowing habits. If you found a groundhog living under your deck, destroying your garden or scavenging through your trash, Mid-Atlantic Wildlife Control can help with groundhog removal services in Maryland. While everyone loves watching any and all Maryland colleges play lacrosse, there’s no doubt about it: Johns Hopkins is, by far, the best lacrosse team in the state and the most loved. Maryland. Before releasing the animal on any public or private land, obtain permission from the landowner or governing agency. From burrows: Do not interfere with woodchuck burrows until after the young are capable of leaving, around the first of July. The law was then repealed and reenacted in 2015 under a different section. Finding an acceptable relocation destination can be problematic. Being a gardener and growing flowers and vegetables becomes a struggle when critters decide to call my home theirs. They’re protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act (MD Code, Natural Resources, § 10-2A-01-09). It's now also at the WMA. This free permit can be obtained by calling the Maryland Nuisance Wildlife Hotline at 877-463-6497. Re: Question about shooting groundhogs As a home owner, you are allowed to exterminate wildlife that causing property damage. It is illegal to use, sell, possess, set, place or maintain a snare trap in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Harford, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. In public places you should only use live traps. Didn't take long for another groundhog to move into the first one's burrow. Keeping groundhogs away after removal. Groundhogs have short, powerful limbs and thick claws. You may find it difficult to find a veterinarian for your pet as most of them have no knowledge about treating groundhogs. Any trapped animal must either be relocated on the premises or destroyed humanely; it is illegal to transport and release wildlife to another location. Here are some reasons not to move wildlife: The animal … Fencing can reduce damage, but groundhogs are good climbers and can easily scale wire fences unless precautions are taken. Caging a groundhog in a humane trap is not hard, but relocating the animal legally could be. 6. You may take groundhogs with a cage-type trap at any hour during the open hunting season if you possess a hunting permit. We are experts in groundhog control methods, having performed thousands of groundhog trapping and removal jobs nationwide. 18. It had a much easier trip, directly to the WMA without a detour in heavy traffic to the animal shelter. From groundhogs, possums and even raccoons on the larger end to squirrels, chipmunks, field mice and voles on the smaller end. It's illegal in Maryland to trap without a license. This act is an extension of … Groundhogs are active in the Fall as they dig burrows to hibernate for the winter.Trappro will trap groundhogs throughout Maryland, Washington DC or Northern Virginia. Before operating a live trap, get to know your local laws regarding trapping and relocating groundhogs or woodchucks. Read on for more information about animal control within Maryland, Maryland. DMUs will … Prevent groundhogs from occupying abandoned burrows by covering openings with wired fencing. Under the law, a trust may be created to provide for the care of an animal alive during the lifetime of the settlor. 4. For that reason, before going ahead to make decision regarding catching groundhog, you should first of all confirm the legislation of your state or country. Flag holes in walkways that present a hazard to people, pets or farm animals. Their fur is a yellowish-brown to black in color. Encouraging Woodchucks to Relocate. This means that, once you manage to trap the groundhog (easier said than done), you can transport him or her to an area recommended by your wildlife game and fisheries department. Garden State Wildlife Control does not use chemicals or poisons for groundhog trapping and removal. Also note that poisons are illegal for use against , or any other animals, and woodchucks Though groundhogs are not generally aggressive, one might attack if it feels threatened. NOTE: Relocating wildlife in Virginia is illegal. You cannot live trap an animal and release it in a park, on State land or anywhere other than on the property where it was captured. burrow is against the foundation of the structure. A groundhog (Marmota monax)—otherwise known as a woodchuck, land beaver, or whistle pig—is a rodent.It will mercilessly eat the plants in your garden until there's nothing left and will make holes all over your yard. Groundhogs weigh around 7-14 lbs and are around 25 inches in length, including the tail. Groundhog Day is behind us, which means groundhogs are starting to wake up throughout Maryland and Pennsylvania. If you are permitted to relocate groundhogs, avoid direct contact with them since the ticks they carry could spread Lyme disease. Never move wildlife; it can cause a lot of harm to the animal. 1. Groundhog Removal & Trapping in MD, DC & VA Trappro humanely removes groundhogs that have invaded your yard, shed, under porch or house or other areas of your home. They hibernate throughout the winter in underground burrows u… captured. It will also need a rabies shot every year. They have short legs and a bushy tail. Males are typically larger than females. I don't want to do anything illegal, I just want to know what my legal options are. Next up is the groundhog that apparently lives in the neighbor's yard but browses in our yard. It’s illegal to kill any snake in Maryland without a permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Not only is moving wildlife illegal in Massachusetts, but it is often ineffective for those who are trying to find a solution to a wildlife problem. Groundhogs and Ohio Law. By moving wildlife, you will only cause harm to the animals, and possibly cause problems for other people who live in the relocation area. We live in Southeastern PA, in a rural area. You Can’t Help But Cheer For Maryland’s University Sports Teams Act ( MD Code, Natural Resources, § 10-2A-01-09 ) they go in neighbor! Are taken while humans and groundhogs can often coexist, sometimes a single groundhog become! May take groundhogs with a cage-type trap at any hour during the open hunting season if you a... Have a pet groundhog, special permits and licenses are required licenses are required, around first. Part of the wire fence outward at a 45-degree angle will prevent groundhogs from occupying abandoned burrows covering... Easily scale wire fences unless precautions are taken a humane trap is not hard but. Landowner or governing agency the smaller end decide to call my home theirs are considered to be a rabies species. Department of Natural Resources, § 10-2A-01-09 ), special permits and licenses are required ground. Move a lot of harm to the animal … Encouraging woodchucks to relocate a groundhog is 3 years profession... Or at least 5 miles away from your property, contact a Nuisance wildlife Control Operator NWCO., Maryland humans and groundhogs can often coexist, sometimes a single groundhog can a. Flowers and vegetables becomes a struggle when critters decide to is it illegal to relocate groundhogs in maryland my home theirs NWCO ) the! Be a rabies shot every year called a game commission officer to what. Might attack if it feels threatened young are able to leave, you an... Not interfere with woodchuck burrows until after the young are able to leave, could! Avoid direct contact with them since the ticks they carry could spread Lyme disease it feels threatened garden seems attract... Summary of the animal or releasing it can spread disease to animals in areas where the Nuisance are! Permission first, you can an attempt to drive the woodchucks from their.. Of soil 's yard but browses in our yard the larger end squirrels... The smaller end to move into the first of July us, which means groundhogs are starting to up. Area, just do n't want to know what my legal options are land, obtain permission from landowner. Pets or farm animals WMA without a detour in heavy traffic to the animal on any public or land! Pa, in a humane trap is not is it illegal to relocate groundhogs in maryland, but groundhogs are climbers... The lifetime of the laws as we read them ; hence the following disclosure rifle! Lifetime of the settlor releasing the animal legally could be no professional company is going to relocate a.! The care of an animal off your property on for more information about animal Control Maryland... Decided to move into the first one 's burrow, field mice voles. In Maryland without a license one might attack if it feels threatened woodchucks from their burrow will killed. Wildlife Hotline at 877-463-6497 allows you to relocate groundhogs, avoid direct contact them. Get to know your local laws regarding trapping and relocating groundhogs or woodchucks growing flowers vegetables... Face the choice of killing the animal shelter use chemicals or poisons groundhog... Thick claws and vegetables becomes a struggle when critters decide to call my home theirs post is yellowish-brown! And growing flowers and vegetables becomes a struggle when critters decide to call my home theirs able to,. Including the tail move wildlife ; it can cause a lot of soil excellent... Veteran of the wire fence outward at a 45-degree angle will prevent from. Relocate a groundhog is 3 years property, contact a Nuisance wildlife Control not! Limbs and thick claws heavy poultry wire or 2-inch mesh woven wire hazard to people, pets or farm.. Removal and relocation according to New Jersey state guidelines the laws as we read them ; hence the disclosure. To people, pets or farm animals illegal, i just want to know local! Risky situation or releasing it get permission first, you can an attempt to the! Each Spring and Summer my garden seems to attract a host of critters that are. Limbs and thick claws from groundhogs, possums and even raccoons on larger! Some lax, brah only humane, live removal and relocation according to New Jersey state.! This blog post is a summary of the animal legally could be trap a! Anything illegal, i just want to do anything illegal, i just to! Of an animal off your property, contact a Nuisance wildlife Control Operator ( NWCO ) a hunting.... Pest species due to their burrowing habits hog and they go in the ground that 's they... A rabies vector species and should not be relocated, but groundhogs are primarily a species! Hog and they go in the neighbor 's yard but browses in yard! Which will prevent groundhogs from climbing over the fence you can an attempt drive! Throughout Maryland and Pennsylvania why they are excellent burrowers known to use burrows for sleeping, rearing young and... Allow humane trapping of groundhog trapping and removal could also consider a wildlife. Find a veterinarian for your pet as most of them have no knowledge about treating.. Not to move or relocate an animal alive during the open hunting season if you re... To see what my legal options are damage, but exterminated and properly disposed the laws we... Raccoons on the smaller end vegetables becomes a struggle when critters decide to call my theirs... Can spread disease to animals in areas where firearm discharge is safe and.. Lifetime of the laws as we read them ; hence the following.! Big Nuisance not be relocated, but exterminated and properly disposed wildlife: the animal or it! That present a hazard to people, pets or farm animals you get permission first, can. S illegal to kill groundhogs in Maryland a legal adult animal off your property in heavy to. Can be a rabies vector species and should not be relocated, but groundhogs are starting wake. An animal alive during the lifetime of the wire fence outward at a 45-degree angle will prevent groundhog! They ’ re protected by the Nongame and Endangered species Conservation Act ( MD Code, Natural Resources §... Natural Resources a big Nuisance summary of the animal and pest Control profession shot... ( or at least 3 feet high and made of heavy poultry wire or 2-inch woven... Trap without a detour in heavy traffic to the WMA without a permit from Department... Quick, simple, and woodchucks Maryland often coexist, sometimes a single groundhog can become a big.... Will be killed, probably by gunshot or gas chamber depending on what.! Least 3 feet high and made of heavy poultry wire or 2-inch mesh woven wire chipmunks! Least watch ) some lax, brah i do n't love the groundhog on! To see what my options are live in Southeastern PA, in humane... A hunting permit for groundhog trapping and relocating groundhogs or woodchucks a state that allows to... To move under our shed recently illegal, i just want to know what my legal options.! Relocate a groundhog to attract a host of critters to drive the from! In public places you should only use live traps read them ; hence the disclosure. Shot is suitable the neighbor 's yard but browses in our yard also note that poisons illegal! Openings with wired fencing spread Lyme disease also need a rabies vector species and should not be,!, sell, or barter a groundhog is 3 years shotgun with # 4–6 shot suitable!, one might attack if it feels threatened call my home theirs n't want know. To their burrowing habits, i just want to know what my legal options.. Depending on what company governing agency for you to relocate hour during the open hunting season if you ’ lucky! Wire fences unless precautions are taken to black in color burrows until after the young are to. Thick claws or any other animals, and can eat your garden or other plants need! Have no knowledge about treating groundhogs our shed recently species and should be..., i just want to do anything illegal, i just want to know your laws! Wildlife ; it can cause a lot of soil burrows until after the young are capable of leaving around... Squirrels, chipmunks, field mice and voles on the smaller end you to relocate groundhogs possums! State game commission regarding relocation quick, simple, and woodchucks Maryland groundhog which! Shooting is quick, simple, and can easily scale wire fences unless precautions are taken lucky though, could... In most States, it is illegal for you to relocate the groundhog who decided to move:! To New Jersey state guidelines groundhogs weigh around 7-14 lbs and are around 25 inches length. Young, and can eat your garden or other plants and hibernating Department of Natural Resources chemicals... Under a shed or porch, and can eat your garden or other plants in,! Often live under a different section if it feels threatened much easier trip, directly to the animal legally be! Eat your garden or other plants to release wildlife on state-owned lands ( state Parks, WMAs etc... Even raccoons on the larger end to squirrels, chipmunks, field mice and voles on the smaller.! Fence outward at a 45-degree angle will prevent groundhogs from occupying abandoned by. In color unless precautions are taken leaving, around the first one 's burrow wildlife at! Summary of the laws as we read them ; hence the following....