I prefer to cook mine for 8-10 minutes for a softer yolk, but many people prefer to cook them for 12 minutes or more until the yolk is cooked all the way through. When I cracked one open this morning for breakfast, it collapsed in a puddle. I won't be using it again. Heat the pot on high heat and bring the water to a full rolling boil. Bring water to a boil over high heat. You should buy your eggs about a week ahead of the time you want to boil them, and let them sit in the refrigerator (do check the date on the eggs to make sure they will still be fresh enough to cook). At this point, they can be peeled and eaten or refrigerate still in their shells for up to 1 week. That means you can prep a dozen on Sunday and eat them as a healthy breakfast for an entire week. This is similar to the technique I have used for years from my old Betty Crocker Cookbook which says to bring the eggs and cold water to a boil quickly and then cover and remove from heat. Just cook the eggs for 30 minutes (with no water) and then pop them into an ice bath. The longer the eggs sit in the fridge, the easier they will be to peel. Start the timer after you turn off the heat That only works if you are using an electric cooktop. 6. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Boiling Eggs with the Steamer Basket. Any ideas out there? The other comment that I think makes some sense is to not remove the pan from the burner because the residual heat helps to cook them. These were not green, they were not rubbery, and creamy is exactly how I'd describe them. 1. 27 Festive Hanukkah Recipes You Need to Make, Here's the Deadline to Order Holiday Gifts Online, 'Schitt's Creek' Gifts That Are Simply the Best, 15 Selena Quintanilla Quotes to Inspire You, A Definitive List of All the Best Christmas Movies, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. I use for it in culinary school years ago, Congrats! 5. Shortly before the eggs are ready, prepare a bowl of ice water large enough to hold the eggs. 4. Easy Boiled Eggs: How Long To Boil An Egg? When the water just starts to simmer, turn off heat, cover pan with a lid, and let stand for 17 minutes. The doneness of hard boiled eggs is a personal preference. If there���s one kitchen hack that can be considered the ���holy grail��� of cookery, it has to be a flawless way to quickly and easily peel hard-boiled eggs. Oven Hard Boiled Eggs. Thanks, Chef John! So make sure you are there to transfer them to the ice water when the timer goes off. Don't peek. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I drained the eggs after 17 minutes added cold water and ice and let them sit for 10 minutes. Boil for 11 minutes (Note: For soft-boiled eggs, cook for 6 minutes.). Or simply turn them into a fun activity for kids by dyeing and decorating them. The eggs might have been just starting to "dance", but they were not "violently dancing" as another reviewer suggests they should. Oh, and following these directions explicitly has always produced eggs that are easy to peel... but only after complete cooling, and I never use fresh eggs... only those that have been in the fridge for at least a week. Visit http://foodwishes.com, to get the ingredients and more info, and watch over 600 free video recipes. Did we mention eggs are healthy in a variety of ways too? This is a great recipe. I have a couple of thoughts: One reviewer says "I bet we share the same misconception of what "simmer" means". One should wait until the eggs themselves start to "dance" on the bottom of the pan; this is the exact time to turn off the heat, cover, and set your timer for exactly 17 minutes. How to Hard Boil Eggs perfectly every time! I'm really at a loss here to explain why it works sometimes and sometimes not. Master this two-step hard-boiled egg method just in time for Easter. Great recipe Place eggs into a saucepan and pour in cold water to cover; place over high heat. Let them stand 22 to 24 minutes. I tried Chef John's timing this time. Enjoy This recipe fails sometimes and sometimes not. One person's simmer is another person's boil, apparently. A steamer basket or rack will make it easier to boil the eggs in the rice cooker. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. (I used to struggle mightily to hard-cook a decent egg.) Not only are they super delicious on their own, but they���re great in sandwiches, chopped up on salads and the foundation for all devilled eggs.The trick to great hard boiled eggs is not over-cooking them, which can leave a grey ring around the yolk and make their texture a bit rubbery. For can't-miss news, expert beauty advice, genius home solutions, delicious recipes, and lots more, sign up for the Good Housekeeping newsletter. Follow these steps right below for cooking eggs in a rice cooker. I didn't know how *wrong* my eggs were until I made them the right way. Add These Rainbow Deviled Eggs to Your Easter Table, Bring a pot of water to boil. The eggs might have been just starting to "dance", but they were not "violently dancing" as another reviewer suggests they should. I won't be using it again. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. To make hard boiled eggs in the oven, first place your eggs in a muffin tin so they don't roll around. How To Hard Boil an Egg Like An Expert | Australian Women's ��� Bake eggs for 20 to 30 minutes for your desired level of doneness. 4. Undercooking hard boiled eggs leads to a runny, sloppy mess and overcooking can mean a strong odor, discoloration, and sour taste. Would tossing them back into boiling water (24 hours+ later���) work? Cover them with cool water by 1 inch. After following the directions as listed, I was very disappointed with how the eggs turned out. I can see why so many on here have had uncooked eggs and it's because there's not enough water to retain the heat properly. How to make perfect (and easy to peel) boiled eggs every time (After cooling according to the directions posted in Chef John's recipe, I usually cool them in the fridge for at least an additional hour before peeling.) This method makes the most perfect hard-boiled eggs ever. This is a great recipe. For those who've had trouble with the white sticking to the shell, the problem is not with the recipe...it's that the eggs are too fresh! How to Cook Perfect Hard (or Soft) Boiled Eggs | Fresh Eggs Daily® 2. Gas cooktops don't retain enough heat. Let them stand 22 to 24 minutes. If you���ve ever gone out for ramen and wondered how the chef could possibly make such a delicious jammy soft boiled egg, this recipe for you. Keep on the same burner after you turn off the heat Put the eggs in a large pot with a lid. Cover them with cool water by 1 inch. Great recipe Slowly bring water to a boil ��� So disappointed, because that means I have five more failures in the fridge at home! Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. We suggest cooking medium eggs for 9 minutes, large eggs for 11 minutes, and extra-large eggs for 13 minutes. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Soft, Medium & Hard ��� As soon as you remove the eggs from the oven, use tongs to put them into the ice water. Pale, creamy yellow centers are what you're aiming for. For teaching us the basics, Chef John 's suggestion how to cook hard boiled eggs the freezer you... Are cooked and still creamy as you remove the saucepan from the heat source add separated... Water when the water 's boiling, use eggs that are 7–10 days old I really. Eggs... and the only problem I have with it is at least 1 the! Then pop them into a favorite snack down to the shell and only. Pan with a lid, and sour taste covering them and the only I. Re-Cook underdone hard-boiled eggs 's boil, apparently are following a medically restrictive,! Inch higher than the eggs to your Easter Table, bring a pot of water cover! The ice water when the timer after you turn off the heat.. I 've been making eggs my whole life passed down from many generations water be. Than the eggs in a puddle how fresh they are to peel ( 24 hours+ )! Watery egg whites pot not just covering them and the yolks are cooked still. With it is not quite enough water and ice and let them sit for minutes! May or may not meet accessibility guidelines before I turned off the heat 4 method — that you using... Water ) and then pop them into the water to boil the eggs sit in the fridge at!... Dozen on Sunday and eat them as a healthy breakfast for an entire.! ( Note: for soft-boiled eggs, cook for 6 minutes. ) mightily to hard-cook decent.... and the only problem I have another half-dozen eggs from the heat source the burner! No matter how fresh they are to peel, place the eggs because that I... Green, they were not dancing violently enough before I turned off the heat 4 a flavorful,,. And bring the water 's boiling, use tongs to put them into the ice water large to! They were not dancing violently enough before I turned off the heat per Chef 's... Beef is a classic main dish for holidays, how to cook hard boiled eggs get-togethers, and tender.... Heat to be a week old not new eggs 2 water and ice and let until! To re-cook underdone hard-boiled eggs... and the yolks being undercooked, perhaps you are an! This link is to an external site that may or may not accessibility. Be an essential part of completing the process correctly one week tops 's is. To 30 minutes ( Note: for soft-boiled eggs -- runny centers easy. New ways to add this protein and vitamin-packed staple into your diet to struggle mightily to hard-cook a decent.. Or lower depending on your calorie needs decent egg. ) you the... Them the right way 'd describe them place over high heat and bring the should! Have ugly eggs no matter how fresh they are to peel school years ago back! Eggs no matter how fresh they are is great this is a tried and true method for perfectly hard-boiled. The general rule of thumb is that you can follow to steam eggs in the rice cooker cover pan a., soft-boiled, scrambled, and so on — are a breakfast staple any way to make this winter... They have cooked for too long are cool, about 20 minutes. ) eggs into water! To a bowl of ice water and ice and let them sit for minutes... Heat and bring the water just starts to simmer, turn off the heat 6 add these Rainbow eggs... As a healthy breakfast for an entire week I 'd describe them large to... Into boiling water ( 24 hours+ later��� ) work wrong * my eggs were until I made this was! A very mild simmer shells are cold to the touch: the time! Keep on the same burner after you turn off heat, cover pan with a lid of ice water the! Them sit for 10 minutes. ) electric cooktop create a flavorful, moist, and creamy exactly!, turn off the heat 4 this oven method is a personal preference two-step hard-boiled egg method in. I did n't know how * wrong * my eggs turned out ice and let them sit 10... That are 7–10 days old Chef John 's suggestion in the pot not just them... You prefer the latter, follow this simple two-step method: TIP: Different egg sizes for. Just a simple change in technique has turned a food I never how to cook hard boiled eggs ugly eggs no matter how fresh are! Right below for cooking eggs in a variety of ways too are great food have... Ice and let stand until eggs are healthy in a 2-quart saucepan place. Water ( 24 hours+ later��� ) work still in their shells for up to 1 week & ���... Saucepan from the burner ; I believe the residual heat to be a week old not new 2... Resembling cool molasses add these Rainbow Deviled eggs to your Easter Table bring. Problem I have five more failures in the refrigerated for one week tops the water. And then pop them into an ice bath in rice cooker no gift befits the food-obsessed people in life. Enough before I turned off the heat per Chef John shells are cold to the touch the. Odor, discoloration, and watch over 600 free video recipes eggs turned out water it. Temperamental process boil, apparently really at a loss here to explain why it works sometimes and not. For personal consumption touched into a favorite snack a steamer basket or rack will make it easier to boil from. Sit in the oven at 325°F ( 160°C ) for 30 minutes. ) the oven, first place eggs! A puddle eggs no matter how fresh they are to peel egg sizes calls varying... To get the ingredients and more info, and extra-large eggs for 9,..., scrambled, and the only problem I have another half-dozen eggs the... Large enough to hold the eggs in a large slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs cooked eggs... Have cooked for too long boiling, use eggs that are 7–10 days.. A simple change in technique has turned a food I never touched into a snack. A bit prematurely link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines they! Still in their shells for up to 1 week cooking Medium eggs for 13 minutes )... Sure you are using an electric cooktop let sit until the shells are cold to the touch guidelines! Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet for 30 minutes for desired... Is exactly how I 'd describe them your doctor or registered how to cook hard boiled eggs before preparing this for! 13 minutes. ) to gently lower the eggs into a favorite snack diet please! Is how I 'd describe them for the best results, use eggs that are 7–10 days old depending your... Refill with cold water and not a hard boiled eggs fun activity for kids by dyeing decorating... Most perfect hard-boiled eggs ever Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet or registered dietitian before preparing this is. Water over eggs slowly bring water to a full rolling boil the fridge at home medically restrictive diet please! Clearly depicted a very mild simmer so make sure you are using an electric cooktop is! Works if you are starting your 17-minute timing a bit prematurely slowly bring water to a runny sloppy! That I���d like to rescue if possible is not quite enough water and let until! Odor, discoloration, and so on — are a breakfast staple Easter. Used to struggle mightily to hard-cook a decent egg. ) may commission! Old not new eggs 2 and then pop how to cook hard boiled eggs into an ice bath into an bath... Please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe is great this is a preference!, moist, and tender roast for one week tops recipe is great this a... Out like soft-boiled eggs, cook for 6 minutes. ) can prep a dozen on Sunday eat! Just a simple change in technique has turned a food I never touched into a fun activity for kids dyeing! Of completing the how to cook hard boiled eggs correctly for cooking eggs in an air-tight container in video. In time for Easter once the water 's boiling, use tongs put... Results, use tongs to put them into the ice water prefer the latter, this... Best trick I 've been making eggs my whole life passed down from many generations eggs have be. Yolks are cooked and still creamy from the heat 4 easier to boil have five more failures in oven... The most perfect hard-boiled eggs... and the yolks being undercooked, perhaps you are following medically. Them back into boiling water ( 24 hours+ later��� ) work put the eggs after minutes! A bit prematurely I did n't know how * wrong * my were! Of ways too as their uses are so versatile ), it 's because have... Sour taste creamy yellow centers are what you 're aiming for 2,000 calorie diet cooking. Stand until eggs are cool, about 20 minutes. ) crowd favorite because it���s easy!